Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hand foot and mouth, only round mouth?

(13 Posts)
Ames33 Wed 25-Jan-17 23:08:34

Hi
My little one has been diagnosed with what the doc thought could be hand, foot and mouth. He has sores around his mouth, not in his mouth. Not really anything of note in his hands or feet??
He has been a bit hot, very snotty, headache, coughing. Does it sound like it could be?
Have been told by his nursery that I have to keep him off, which I would do whilst he is still feeling groggy anyway.
But I'm thinking if it's not HF&M, and he seems better, will I be keeping him off unnecessary?
I obviously wouldn't want to pass it on to anyone else (they suspect I have it too, but only have a sore on my lip, one ulcer and a couple of pin prick spots on my fingers).
Has anyone experienced this without the hands and feet being affected?
I hope this makes sense!

GinAndSonic Wed 25-Jan-17 23:12:52

Not sure but my sons hand foot and mouth presented as blisters all over his body, not an inch was spared. The Dr's had never seen anything like it. We were told there is no exclusion for it, he could return when he felt well, but he couldn't even wear shoes as his feet hurt too much so he was off for over a week till the blisters healed. He lost all his finger and toe nails repeatedly for a good 6 months afterwards too.

GinAndSonic Wed 25-Jan-17 23:13:50

Meant to add, if it can be as widespread as my sons,I don't see why it couldn't, at the other end of the scale, be as mild as just around the mouth.

Ames33 Wed 25-Jan-17 23:18:04

Ouch! That sounds horrible!
Yes, nursery said exclusion for 7 days!!
We both feel pretty grotty to be honest, and work don't want me going in so I guess a couple of sofa and film days won't hurt!! Xx

gazingatthestars Thu 26-Jan-17 00:29:06

Impedigo?

gazingatthestars Thu 26-Jan-17 01:37:19

Sorry - impetigo

GarrulousGrimoire Thu 26-Jan-17 01:54:24

My DD was diagnosed with HF and M and that was just sores on her mouth and feeling ill/hot.

Then the sores went into her mouth, her gums swelled and she became dehydrated with fountaining bleeding from the mouth was all very dramatic!

Turns out it wasn't HFM she had caught the herpatic virus (cold sores) leading to infected gingivitis. When they first get the herpes virus if they are little (she was 2) it can manifest as illness in various severities.

So I would keep an eye on him as it could turn out to be heroes instead, there is not a great likelihood he's get as unlucky as her but just so you are aware as it sounds similar!

Other DDs have had HFM and the rash was very visible on hands and feet too, they were ill feeling with it.

Dontsayyouloveme Thu 26-Jan-17 22:53:21

My son only had spots round his mouth too. He was sick once then the next days spotty just round there and cold like symptoms. Dr said impetigo.... to this day I say it was HF & M! ,

MyKidsHaveTakenMySanity Thu 26-Jan-17 23:11:10

My two girls had one spot on one palm and one or two on their feet. I didn't even know they had HFM until well into the next week when school mums were talking about their own kids. I'm surprised that your nursery said 7 days though. Seems harsh seeing that the NHS exclusion guidelines for HFM is no days at all. Of course young babies are different but incubation (and contagious during that time too) is 3-5 days so odds are it's been spread already.

Ames33 Thu 26-Jan-17 23:47:13

I have doubled checked with nursery and yes, it's 7 days. There aren't any young babies there, it's 2 to 4 year olds!
I am not allowed to take him back next weds, have to wait until Friday!

gazingatthestars Fri 27-Jan-17 04:14:23

The virus that causes hand foot and mouth can cause a lot of other nasty diseases so your nursery are right to have this policy - wish mine were so good!!

peaceloveandbiscuits Fri 27-Jan-17 23:32:11

DS had it a couple of weeks ago. Timeline was quite classic:
Day 1 vomit and high temperature
Day 2 fine
Day 3 spots on hands, feet, genitals, thighs, bottom
Day 4 spots round mouth, other spots blister
Day 5 ulcers in mouth
Day 6-10 spots get worse then gradually better.

Another toddler we know only had a couple of spots on her feet and felt poorly for a week. As soon as DS' spots came out he seemed fine in himself, except picky over food with the mouth ulcers.

Do keep him off - it's particularly nasty for adults to catch, and some of the children at nursery will have baby siblings etc.

Ames33 Fri 27-Jan-17 23:48:19

I will keep him off. Thanks all. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now