Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Has anyone's child has teeth removed under GA

(11 Posts)
autumnchat Tue 24-Jan-17 16:53:52

DD (7) is to have two molars removed under GA. She suffers with anxiety and just the appointment and x-rays taken were enough for her, although she was very brave!

Not sure how she's going to cope on the day. Obviously will ask info at her pre-admission but just wondering whether it's usually the mask or cannula, if they have to wear a hospital gown etc and how long it takes? Want to get her prepared without keeping mentioning it if that's possible.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

KinkyDoritowithsparkleson Tue 24-Jan-17 16:58:48

DD - yep for teeth and many others unfortunately.

I would expect her to be in a gown. I would also expect that someone can go into the anesthetic room with her. Usually, they put them to sleep by mask - which is fast as they are told to take some deep breaths - and then ask you to leave before then sorting the other bits. It is fine. It is odd to watch the first time, but she will be okay. You then get called into recovery as she is brought back round from it.

I've had a couple myself and was always really cross when they brought me round as I was having a nice sleep.

KinkyDoritowithsparkleson Tue 24-Jan-17 16:59:59

Should add, my DD is ASD and very anxious, but didn't seem to have a problem with being put to sleep. I think it was more the build up. Much less stress than trying to inject her/take blood.

It will be okay thanks.

KinkyDoritowithsparkleson Tue 24-Jan-17 17:00:51

should say put under... PTS sounds sinister grin.

autumnchat Tue 24-Jan-17 18:47:20

Thank you smile I have had numerous GA's myself and also taken DS1 for three ops but he was a total different kettle of fish and actually skipped to the theatre once!

Heratnumber7 Tue 24-Jan-17 18:57:45

My DD had a canine removed and put back straight. She wore her own clothes.
She also had a mask.
The whole op didn't take very long. About 20 mins I think.

autumnchat Tue 24-Jan-17 19:45:32

Thanks Herat, I didn't even know they could put teeth back in! If she could wear her own clothes she would be a lot happier!

I'm wondering if she will be able to have a pre-med on the day if she is really anxious.

3luckystars Wed 25-Jan-17 03:18:18

That can't mean that?

ChangedUsername123 Wed 25-Jan-17 03:29:08

๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿผ my Ds1 had his top for teeth removed at just 18-ish months!
He was admitted as a day patient, he got to wear his own pjs, and honestly he was back in the recovery room and awake, before I'd made it down there in the lifts! Whole thing took like, 10 minutes. They used gas to knock him out smile
He was back in recovery at say, 12. They gave him something to eat, and we were driving home by 12:30 (they heavily suggested we leave, as he'd started running up and down the ward like a mad thing by this point ๐Ÿ˜‚)
DS1 has Autism so didn't really understand what was happening, but the whole thing didn't effect him in the slightest! grin

autumnchat Mon 30-Jan-17 00:33:33

Thank you, this is all really reassuring.

BlowMeDownWithAFeatherMissis Tue 07-Feb-17 22:04:56

Dd2 had about five teeth out when she was 5. (There is something wrong with her enamel. Plus she didn't sleep for more than 20 mins at a time as a baby so was bf constantly during the night til two and apparently this was the main cause of the decay.) I found the GA upsetting but she was fine with it - she did get upset when she came round though and her mouth was bleeding. I had a mini dvd player thing and she basically clamped herself onto that and hid under the covers - she is v anxious and I think has ASD. But it all healed really quickly and she was totally fine. Hope it all goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now