Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

I think dd 3 has measles. Please share your wisdom and experiences.

(7 Posts)
Jezabella1 Mon 23-Jan-17 16:30:34

That's it really. She has a rash identical to the measles rash and has the blocked runny nose and sore eyes to accompany it.

Can anyone tell me about their experiences of measles in a young child?

WorkingBling Mon 23-Jan-17 16:33:10

has she been vaccinated? If she has, it's unlikely to be measles. If she hasn't, it's unlikely many people will have experience. If she does have measles, you need to contact your GP surgery urgently. You also need to ensure your child is kept away from any vulnerable people, particularly young babies or the very elderly. Both of whom may not have vaccinations.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 23-Jan-17 16:36:52

You can still have measles even if you've be vaccinated.

Contact your GP , don't take her to the surgery unless told to.

I hope it's just a viral rash.

MirabelleTree Mon 23-Jan-17 16:38:49

There is something called Roseola infatum (or something like that ) which our GP mistook for measles in DS. He was swabbed so we knew it definitely wasn't measles. We were told it is a notifiable disease so you do need to see a GP.

MirabelleTree Mon 23-Jan-17 16:39:39

But ring and say that you think it is measles.

BroomstickOfLove Mon 23-Jan-17 16:40:48

You need to phone your GPbecause its a notifiable disease which needs to be reported and could be very dangerous to some of the patients who might be in the waiting room. The GP should be able to give you advice on what to do, but in the meantime, closed curtain and no/low lights are the main thing that you would do differently from other viral rashly illnesses.

Jezabella1 Mon 23-Jan-17 18:02:38

We were seen and its.... Scarlett fever!! Better than it sounds. A course of antibiotics and she'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now