Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What can I do with dd (4) awful cough and not eaten apart from petit filous for a fortnight

(8 Posts)
Shiraznowplease Sat 21-Jan-17 18:48:19

DD(4) has had this awful cough that is doing the rounds. She is really knocked by it, I know it's viral so AB will do no good, she has no temp but is lethargic.
She is not a brilliant eater but will not eat anything but the odd petit filous at the moment. We have tried ordering in chic, ice cream, junk food, cooking her favourites even bribing her with shopkins if she will eat to no avail.
She has lost half a stone since Xmas which is a lot at just under three stone to start. Wibu taking her to docs or any suggestions??

JennyOnAPlate Sat 21-Jan-17 18:49:40

Yes I would take her to the doctors at this point. Poor thing flowers

Will she drink calories? Milkshake made with ice cream etc?

larrygrylls Sat 21-Jan-17 18:54:18

So, she has lost 17% of her bodyweight (or the equivalent of about 1.5 stone for the average adult) and in one month and is lethargic? She needs to be seen quite urgently. I don't think that you can diagnose a virus because there is one doing the rounds.

She needs proper assessment and management by a doctor as soon as possible.

Pooka Sat 21-Jan-17 18:55:04

Take her to the GP on Monday.

Shiraznowplease Sat 21-Jan-17 22:27:39

Thanks, I just wanted to check I wasn't over reacting. No Jenny the only drink she will take in is water, even though dh has tried making milkshakes,special straws and went into town to get her a shopkins glass to encourage her. She adores my dad who drove 100 miles today to cheer her up and encourage her but nothing helped
She just can't seem to shake whatever it is 😔

DearMrDilkington Sat 21-Jan-17 22:32:21

She needs to see a doctor. She sounds really ill, that's a lot of weight for a child of that age to lose.

How many yogurts is she managing a day?

123bananas Sun 22-Jan-17 00:46:54

Without listening to her chest with a stethoscope and interpreting the sounds heard you can't possibly know that what may have been viral at the start has now developed into a chest infection.

Please take her to see a doctor asap. Even phone 111 for OOH referral if possible. Children with chest infections or pneumonia often lose their appetite.

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Sun 22-Jan-17 01:11:26

I personally wouldnt even wait to see the GP. Go to A and E, losing that amount of weight, added with not eating/drinking and lethargy would be red flags to me. She is clearly poorly so get her some help please op!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now