Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

convergence insufficiency

(5 Posts)
lucysnowe Fri 20-Jan-17 14:08:33

Hi all!

DD has just been diagnosed with convergence insufficiency (eye problem) at the opticians. He showed us some exercises to do and has prescribed glasses for reading (she is a bit astigmatic too), but I am wondering if we should go to a private clinic and get her assessed properly? Or can I go via a GP? Any advice appreciated.

dementedpixie Fri 20-Jan-17 14:27:35

What age is she and why do you think her test was not properly conducted in the first place ?

lucysnowe Fri 20-Jan-17 20:35:18

Hi Pixie!

The test was at Specsavers (nowt wrong with that) but I'd like to know how significant her problems are, which wasn't really covered at the time (I'd never heard of it before and have done a bit of research since). She has had a lot of screen time yesterday so it may be a temporary thing (?) or something more severe I guess? She is not a bad reader, more or less average, but does have trouble buckling down to work/reading/writing (complicated by her autism).

lucysnowe Fri 20-Jan-17 20:37:49

Oh sorry, she is 8. The diagnosis was done by a simple pencil one, but the optician was very it was convergence insufficiency. She also has slight astigmatism which she is getting glasses for (as I don't think CS can be diminished with glasses?).

helensburgh Tue 24-Jan-17 04:59:07

Ask.fpr nhs referral to orthoptics. They should have done this!
At that clinic they are specifically trained to deal with it.
Opticians don't have that same training.it may be that the glasses will.make it worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now