Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Virus flu type thing 6 year old

(8 Posts)
Mummytron Thu 19-Jan-17 17:47:32

Dd1 (6) been off school this week with high temp, bad cough and generally unwell.
Seen doc who says virus.
Seems quiet, appetite not great and not herself.
I'm an anxious mum so worrying but trying to be sensible. Only started four days ago and seems to be very slowly perking up.
Would you be worried? Had a handful of spots appear but not sure its chicken pox yet.
Thoughts please?

highlystrung Thu 19-Jan-17 21:35:58

Is she eating and drinking? Do the spots disappear under pressure? If the temp is coming down with meds and she's okay in herself and drinking then I'd be reassured.

Mummytron Thu 19-Jan-17 22:06:14

She is eating and drinking but only a little. Spots go when pressed. She has 14. Does that warrant chicken pox? How long before they blister?

highlystrung Fri 20-Jan-17 07:29:49

I just checked on the NHS site and it says they should start blistering after a day of appearing (or maybe earlier). How is she this morning? I'm assuming she didn't have chicken pox when she was little. If it is CP it will get itchy.

highlystrung Fri 20-Jan-17 07:31:23

Ps - I get v anxious too. It's always better when you know what you're dealing with. Hopefully today it'll be clearer x

Mummytron Fri 20-Jan-17 13:59:55

Spots don't seem to be blistering. Would you be concerned about her appetite being crap? That's the only thing bothering me

highlystrung Fri 20-Jan-17 14:52:06

Appetite wouldn't bother me. If she wasn't drinking then I'd worry. My kids often barely eat for days when they are ill (and they eat like horses normally). How is her temp doing? If that is being controlled with meds and she's not deteriorating then that's a good sign. You can always take her back to the GP if you're worried.

Mummytron Fri 20-Jan-17 17:09:50

Yes she's drinking and normally eats all the time which is why I'm finding it hard. Her temp is fine and not high now. She looks rough and is quiet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now