Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Glue ear - anyone tried Otovent or cranial osteopathy? Or other things?

(14 Posts)
minipie Tue 17-Jan-17 10:54:43

Hi all

My nearly 2 year old has been diagnosed with glue ear both sides today. She's always had small tubes and terrible colds. No ear infections though, I think.

Doctors want to wait and see which is fine, I wouldn't want grommets if they can be avoided. But I wondered if there is anything I can do to help clear it at home.

Has anyone tried Otovent? I suspect she would probably be too young for it - she can blow her nose, but not hard enough to fill a balloon I would think.

Has anyone had any success with cranial osteopathy to clear glue ear?

Anything else I could do?

KevinMcCallister Tue 17-Jan-17 11:59:22

There is no evidence that cranial osteopathy works on glue ear.

My DD has had glue ear for over 2 years and is on a waiting list for tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy. Her consultant wrote to the doc saying the watch and wait hadn't worked for us and neither had otovent. I'd never heard of it! Looked up on the video and spoke to a friend who as an adult has eustation tubes issues and she says the otovent is great. I am going to speak to the GP about getting it. DD needs her tonsils out anyway as they are asymmetrical and they want to send the big one off for histology.

Have a look at the video. I think its worth a chat with the GP. 2 year olds might be fine to use it.

keely79 Tue 17-Jan-17 12:03:27

We use otovent with DS - he's just turned five. He can blow balloon up on both sides. However, when GP prescribed she said he might not be able to do it but that the act of blowing could still be helpful. Worth asking your GP.

minipie Tue 17-Jan-17 12:08:01

Thanks both. Just had a look and the otovent isn't that expensive so may as well give it a go. keely that's good to know the act of blowing is useful even if she can't actually blow it up. We do get her to blow her nose so will keep at that too.

Kevin good luck with the waiting list. Bit odd for your consultant to say otovent hasn't worked if you never used it!

Itsjustaphase84 Tue 17-Jan-17 12:08:37

I used cranial Osteopathy for dc ear infections, not glue ear. After abx couldn't shift it Osteopathy did in 2/3 sessions. The difference was amazing. I didn't want dc on another 3 months supply of abx nor did I want dc having grommets.

minipie Tue 17-Jan-17 12:33:57

Thanks its. Do you have any idea what was causing the ear infections and why the osteopathy worked?

Itsjustaphase84 Tue 17-Jan-17 13:58:35

Blocked lymphatic drainage osteopath said. He applied gentle pressures in skull and neck like physiotherapy. I was very sceptical but desperate. Dc is 2 now. He specialised in pediatrics.

Wendalicious Mon 23-Jan-17 21:16:03

Just to add my 3 year old had adenoids out and grommets in 2 days ago and I can see an improvement already in hearing, he was running around an hour after he woke up from the GA. let me know if anyone needs any more info on this, I know it's not quite what your asked though x

minipie Mon 23-Jan-17 22:27:04

Thanks wenda, quite a history of grommets and adenoids out in our family (both sides) so it may come to that if the fluid doesn't clear.

Olympiathequeen Wed 25-Jan-17 18:15:45

DS2 (3) has just been diagnosed with glue ear despite no ear infections and it's affecting his speech so he's due a hearing test.
Ent didn't suggest anything but wait and see and grommets if it's still there on the next appointment, Might look into this otovent and blowing therapy.

HumphreyCobblers Wed 25-Jan-17 18:18:30

I found that cranial osteopathy did not really help.

As my child has massive speech delay we opted for private grommets in the end. It has made a real difference. I am not sure about the watch and wait policy if it is affecting speech.

minipie Thu 26-Jan-17 18:46:57

Olympia there's another thread about Otovent, seems to have had great results for some DC, more around age 5 but seems worth a try for a 3 yo?

Humphrey thanks, I am undecided about CO.

DD's speech is actually pretty good considering, she has lots of words but they are rather mispronounced/can't be understood outside the family. I'm ok with watch and wait but if there is something that can easily clear it sooner, then why not...

HumphreyCobblers Thu 26-Jan-17 22:00:33

My ds had (still has to some extent) delayed non verbal communication as well as delayed speech, so I think an easier decision to make in our case.

Grittzio Thu 26-Jan-17 22:13:58

My DS benefitted from cranial chiro treatment, had ear infections which resuited in burst ear drums at a year old, was recommended a chiro specialising in paediatrics, and had gentle manipulation around the neck and skull, was amazing to look at the relief on his face when chiro was treating him. We went every couple of weeks, then once a month, then every 3 months and back if I felt he needed it, if he had a cold etc. I was sceptical but I'm also aware doesn't work for everyone, i tried it for DS as didn't want him to have too many antibiotics, he's never had any since and he's now 12

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: