Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Worried about dehydration, vomiting bug. Advice please!

(9 Posts)
PlumFairy2014 Mon 16-Jan-17 18:10:33

My 2 year old DD has a vomiting bug, she was ill 10pm but didn't start being sick until 5.30am. She has been sick 5 times, most recently about 15 mins ago.
I'm struggling to get her to drink and it's all coming back up. Everything is coming back up.
How do I check to see how hydrated she is? She is very floppy/sleepy, perking up now and then. There have been wet nappies in the day, but dark and not the usual volume. No diarrhoea so far.
I stopped breastfeeding just before Christmas and feel like a monster. She never used to get poorly and I could always get milk into her.

Skatingonthinice16 Mon 16-Jan-17 18:52:36

Can you syringe some fluid into her? 10mls at a time?
When she's sick wait at least fifteen minutes for her stomach to settle before trying again. Dioralyte (sp?) if she will take it. Apple juice meant to be good too. I would call 111 if you are worried. If you can get her to take small amounts of fluid through the syringe you should be able to starve off dehydration.

PlumFairy2014 Mon 16-Jan-17 19:46:37

Thank you!
She perked up a bit when DH came home and is having a nap now. Not much is staying down, but she is trying to drink. Apple juice as it happens, she won't attempt water though.
I've got her asleep on me, so I'll see how she goes. I'm feeling less panicked now DH is home to be honest and seeing her perk up a little and talk to him. I think the Frozen themed apple juice he came home with helped.
Thanks again. Really hoping she picks up soon. It's so strange going from an everywhere toddler to her resting all day. She has never been poorly like this before.

LakeFlyPie Fri 20-Jan-17 18:02:27

DS had this at 2.
Dioralyte teaspoon at a time stayed down (when water didn't) and perked him up miraculously.
Hope your LO is better soon, sick kids = scary stuff

SweepTheHalls Fri 20-Jan-17 18:03:19

Lollies are really great for this

MrsMoastyToasty Fri 20-Jan-17 18:06:00

Water based ice lollies are worth a try. They're both cooling and hydrating

cherrypiemay16 Fri 20-Jan-17 18:11:31

Signs of dehydration are reduced wet nappies, sunken eyes, dry lips, lethargy/reduced consciousness. Sounds like she's perked up tho x

IamSwitzerland Fri 20-Jan-17 18:11:48

if her skin starts looking very blotchy she is getting very dehydrated, cold hands and feet can be signs too.

Sips of flat lemonade wotk if you don't have dioralyte, you could try ice poles too if you have any and soup etc.

IamSwitzerland Fri 20-Jan-17 18:16:04

Ha xposts!

Sometimes calpol stays down when all else fails and sleep is a miracle worker for bugs like this, poor baby, hope she gets better soon.

Remember to bleach and Dettol your house (door handles and everything else) so you don't share the joy around the rest of the family smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now