Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Persistent recurring cough

(14 Posts)
EthelredOnAGoodDay Mon 16-Jan-17 13:15:45

Hi all,

just looking for some advice/insight on this. DS is almost 4, and pretty much since he was born he's has a cough which comes around pretty much one week in every month. After about 18 months of him coughing and coughing every month or so, and being told it was a virus, we eventually got the GP to refer us to the hospital. Tests were done and X-rays taken and conclusion was made that it was likely a form of asthma because it responded reasonably well to trials of inhalers, and also because my husband is a lifelong asthmatic.

Fast forward a couple of years and DS has been discharged by the hospital, but the cough has persisted, recurring probably one week in every four, pretty much every month. At a visit to the GPs asthma clinic last October, we were advised by the practice nurse to ensure he had his preventer inhalers every day to try to eradicate the monthly cough. If this didn't work, we should then ask the GP for a stronger dose of inhaler. We did this as the cough remained, and went back one month later as it had still not disappeared, and were given a stronger dose, and told to return in one month and if the cough still persisted, it may be that we needed to start DS on some additional oral medication. A Month later the cough was still there, as ever, so DH took DS to GP (I usually take him, but couldn't that day) and the GP they saw, not our usual GP, said it categorically wasn't asthma if inhalers weren't making a difference and that we should reduce his inhalers down and bring him back next time he was coughing for him to be examined.

It's rare that DS has much wheeze with the cough, but he coughs and coughs and it's just not very nice for him. And I'm a bit peeved that after 3 years or so of following a particular course of action we are now being told that's likely to have been wrong.

I'm going to make an appointment for the next time I think it's likely he'll have the cough, hopefully to see our regular GP, but am looking for advice really. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? TIA.

EthelredOnAGoodDay Mon 16-Jan-17 13:24:35

Apologies for the rambling!

EthelredOnAGoodDay Mon 16-Jan-17 15:16:20

Anyone?

Lazybeans50 Mon 16-Jan-17 15:24:28

I have asthma and I only cough never wheeze. It's quite common for this to be the case. I think it's v. sensible for your gp to re-evaluate though given the preventor isn't working. I'd do as he suggests and take him back when he has the cough. Could the cough be allergy related do you think?

EthelredOnAGoodDay Mon 16-Jan-17 16:03:01

Hi

I don't know really, I can't think of anything in particular that would trigger it. And when it first started he was breastfed, and then has moved through all the usual phases of weaning that you would expect. And whilst other things have changed the cough has remained constant, like a loyal friend... grinconfused

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Mon 16-Jan-17 16:14:28

I'd keep a record of what you've been doing, where you've been, what the weather's been like, whether he's had a cold and what he's been eating for several months and write down how bad his cough has been each day. Say on a scale of one to ten. Try and spot any patterns. Also worth recording when he has fresh bed linen.

I'd also record his coughing on a mobile phone so you can play to a doctor.

EthelredOnAGoodDay Mon 16-Jan-17 20:45:54

Thanks for that Coffee, think I will have to start doing that.

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Tue 17-Jan-17 00:20:10

Your welcome. Hope you get some answers.

Notthinkingclearly Tue 17-Jan-17 10:22:23

Have you considered it could be a post nasal drip or adenoids/ tonsils causing the problem? Try humidifier in room at night and cut out dairy. Is it a loose cough or dry cough?

EthelredOnAGoodDay Tue 17-Jan-17 16:02:26

Hi

I hadn't to be honest. I'd say it's a very dry cough, but I'm no expert. I think keeping a diary will help to maybe pick out triggers. Definitely need to give the GP something more to go on. Just odd though that it's pretty much always the second or third week in every month. And then the rest of the month he is fine. Thanks for your post.

EthelredOnAGoodDay Tue 17-Jan-17 22:16:03

Butterflies27 Mon 23-Jan-17 21:41:51

Has your dd ever had bronchitis or similar?

Butterflies27 Mon 23-Jan-17 21:42:02

Sorry ds, autocorrect grr

gazingatthestars Wed 25-Jan-17 19:52:44

Allergies? Do you do anything to his room or environment once a month?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now