Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Croupy cough - school or not?

(6 Posts)
bikiniline Mon 16-Jan-17 06:50:49

Quick one - DS (6) has had a croupy type cough, swollen tonsils and croaky voice since yesterday. Otherwise seems fine in himself, if a little tired. He says he hasn't got a sore throat and doesn't feel ill.
Should I keep him off school? Will the teachers/parents thank me for sending him in with this nasty sounding cough?

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Mon 16-Jan-17 07:07:46

I wouldn't send him in with potential croup. Keep him at home and give him the day to recuperate.

Sirzy Mon 16-Jan-17 07:09:52

Croup tends to only be a problem at night.

Ds gets it a lot so tends to go in unless he has ended up in hospital with it or he is exhausted from lack of sleep.

Ankleswingers Mon 16-Jan-17 07:13:27

I wouldn't. He probably didn't sleep well and needs to recuperate. I would keep him off.

Notso Mon 16-Jan-17 07:19:13

If he is well as in chatting and playing as usual with no temperature, eating and drinking normally I'd send him in

bikiniline Mon 16-Jan-17 07:27:35

I presume it's not actual croup then - just a rasping cough, maybe more hoarse sounding. He wasn't really coughing much in the night. He seems OK - is eating his breakfast now. Has massive tonsils though - and horrible breath! I don't know - I feel like I should send him in as he's behaving normally but don't want to be accused of being a harsh mother!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now