Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Movicol Moguls. Total newbie here, can I ask some advice please?

(10 Posts)
GoodEggy Sun 15-Jan-17 21:04:07

So my 3 year old DS has been recently diagnosed with constipation. We've had an absolutely awful fortnight of astonishing pain, several doctors visits, A&E, a hospital admission and finally a diagnosis of constipation. We're now on 1-3 sachets a day of movicol, we're managing about 2, which seems to be working, more poos and no more pain.

We are finding it hard to get the stuff in him though, apparently he can taste it if I've hidden it in something just by looking at it. We've had the most success with chocolate porridge and apple juice but still struggling to get enough in him.

What do you hide it in?

tinymeteor Sun 15-Jan-17 21:29:29

If you're going to be doing it for a while, don't try to hide it - he won't be fooled and will get extra vigilant about working out what foods to refuse.

3yrs is old enough to explain it's his medicine, and he needs to take it. Then bribe him with a good reward afterwards, whether chocolate buttons, iPad time or stickers. It'll be hard at first but he will acclimatise.

There are also laxatives you can have as a drink instead, maybe ask the GP if Movicol isn't going well. DD has one called Cosmocol Paediatric which goes in 60ml of water, so it doesn't take her too long to put it away. Tastes like blackcurrant squash.

zubaspal Sun 15-Jan-17 21:42:38

Hi, I hope you have better luck with the horrible movicol than us!
My 3yr old has Hirschsprung's disease it worked in the beginning (with pretty extreme results and belly pains) then dd just would not drink it. I disguised it with most fruit juices but there was no fooling her. Have you tried it? I didn't blame her it was yuck!
I'd call and ask if there is any alternatives before your little one gets backed up.
Good luck

MollyHuaCha Sun 15-Jan-17 22:05:42

Orange juice, pineapple juice, grapefruit juice (if liked!) or Ribena - all strong tastes. Good luck.

Haggisfish Sun 15-Jan-17 22:07:37

Hot chocolate made with milk. Never detected once.

TheDelphDonkey Sun 15-Jan-17 22:10:27

We used to put it in warm milk for our dd and she had no idea. Hope you find something that works for you.

Summerflake Sun 15-Jan-17 22:11:11

Ask for chocolate movicol which is slightly better.

We mix ours in with a couple of teaspoons of chocolate custard and DD has that as pudding every night, she's never noticed.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sun 15-Jan-17 22:13:12

we found cloudy apple juice to be the most palatable mixer, we always had blackcurrant flavoured movicol for DS1; don't know if there are others

FaintlyMacabre Sun 15-Jan-17 22:13:14

Nesquick was the only thing that worked for us. I used to mix it up and put a few doses in a formula dispenser so he could make it up himself. He took it for about a year when he was 5 and never suspected.

QuiteLikely5 Sun 15-Jan-17 22:19:53

Morning milk - never noticed yet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now