Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Croup

(15 Posts)
Roastie1986 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:32:57

Could do with some words of support right now. My lo has had croup 3 times now. Last night being the worst resulting in going to thames doc for oral steroids. Well today the cold has hit him big time as well as a fever. I get ever so nervous and anxious when lo is ill as had a scary past with illness. Someone make me smile Pls and tell me everything will be ok xx

doodlejump1980 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:38:22

My wee one has had croup 4 times now. We found wrapping him up and taking him outside into the cold air helped initially, but sometimes needed a second dose of the steroids. It's so scary when they're ill isn't it? flowers

therootoftheroot Fri 13-Jan-17 21:42:14

Just be careful.....

Have you taken him into a steamy bathroom?

Plenty of drinks

cottonweary Fri 13-Jan-17 21:50:55

Steamy bathroom or keep switching on the kettle to boiling point beside you. Our wallpaper was practically peeling off by the time morning came, but it did help.

BastardBernie Fri 13-Jan-17 21:52:41

I can't imgine how stressful that would be; my DC has recently had croup.
We had a humidifier in at night, in the bathroom with us at every opportunity, pillow under the mattress and upright as much as possible. It's horrendous, it's not just a loud cough sad
I hope your little one gets better soon, poor little thing.

Roastie1986 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:52:48

The croup type symtoms have gone. It's just the fever and cold he is left with. I just worry immensly over him xx

PastysPrincess Fri 13-Jan-17 21:57:54

Aww my little one has had croup a few times; he was hospitalised the first time after being blue lighted there to acwaiting crash team. It is very scary but it is definitely something that can be recovered from.

If you see your childs breastbone being sucked in whilst they are coughing or breathing call 999.

If in doubt don't delay getting them to a go or a and e.

You have my sympathy as it's horrible to go through flowers

Alwaysknackered79 Sun 15-Jan-17 00:23:28

What are you worried about? You know he is recovering... It's natural to be concerned about our children but your concern sounds disproportionate to his illnesss. Try and find a way to manage your anxiety if you can. Hope your lo gets better soon. Croup can be scary but it's really only a mild/moderate illness.

therootoftheroot Sun 15-Jan-17 19:24:22

goodness what an unhelpful post. How condescending.

Croup can actually be very serious.
My son ended up in resus with dangerously low oxygen levels because if croup. i didn't want to post that because i didn't want to scare the op.

When someone is worried and scared, minimising their worries and telling them they are over reacting is not helpful and onl;y serves to make them feel bad.

PastysPrincess Sun 15-Jan-17 20:08:52

Well said therootoftheroot!

Roastie1986 Sun 15-Jan-17 20:33:44

Thank you all for ur kind response. I do get anxious more than most. I went through an awful lot to fall pregnant and then ended up on bed rest with a blood clot in my uterus that could potentially have killed him. Then when he was 11 months old was rushed into resuscitation with dehydrated due to having gastrointorirus. Then just over a year old he had his first respiratory issue with viral induced wheeze. So to say yes I do get anxious I think I'm in my right too. It isn't just a cold with my lo. It can be quite serious.

Alwaysknackered79 Mon 16-Jan-17 05:57:32

Roastie i do understand - I'm actually trying to help. My point is altho you've had awful things happen you need to manage your anxiety for the sake of your well being. You have to see croup as croup not croup as 'but he could die because he nearly died because I had a clot on my uterus'. I say this as a mum whose baby suffered heart failure and was on life support for 5 days. We were offered post traumatic stress counselling - have you considered this? Croup is scary but it really is rarely life threatening. You can't go through the next 10 plus years thinking he is going to be seriously ill or die with each new illness. I'd recommend the counselling as it does sound as though you've been through a lot.

Alwaysknackered79 Mon 16-Jan-17 06:10:28

Ps my older daughter has had croup 6/7 times now and quote seriously - when we hear the cough we go straight to a and e or out of hours and get the steroid which has been proven to help in all cases of croup - and then back home if her sats are good enough keeping her in the coldest air and wrapping her up warm. The cold air works wonders. I guess my point is I no longer worry or am particularly anxious because I know I know what to do, where to take her to get help if she gets bad, what to look for to assess if she's bad (chest recessions, nostril flaring, tracheal tug, lethargy etc). Knowing the facts and that you can manage helps immensely with anxiety IMO. It be the same with viral wheeze - he'll likely get this again so educate yourself on it and have a plan in place to manage it when it happens so the worrying over him part can be minimised. Don't know if I'm saying this right?

Now I have a baby with severe breathing problems, kidney problems, high blood pressure and possible heart damage -now THAT is something to worry about. If I only had croup and viral wheeze to worry about id be very happy so sorry if I'm not more sympathetic!!

Alwaysknackered79 Mon 16-Jan-17 06:17:08

Ps sorry I probably shouldn't have written the last paragraph of my post. Im not trying to do a one up man ship or minimise what you have gone through. I obs have my own issues to work through (for example I can't stand people crying over their baby's injections at the doctors as I've had to watch my baby be injected and have blood tests for weeks on end and they have no idea how lucky they are!!) Please take the helpful bits of the rest of my post and ignore the last paragraph! You need to have a plan in place for next time he's sick with wheeze/croup.

Alwaysknackered79 Mon 16-Jan-17 06:21:30

Pps on wheeze we have inhalers on prescription so we can give the 10 puffs at home - are his respiratory issues being looked at properly in the round by drs or are you still having to take him to ohh or a and e each time he gets sick? (The latter is much more stressful). Maybe push for a respiratory pead referral if you are seeing recurrent illnesses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now