Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

7 year old with abdominal pain

(9 Posts)
christmasiscoming12 Fri 13-Jan-17 19:52:24

My DS 7 has never had abdominal pains but for the last two days has been crying and very emotional saying his stomach hurts (near the belly). It comes and goes and even took himself to the school nurse. He seems fine otherwise. No temp, runs, constipation. He went swimming today, but half way was balling (he doesn't cry) about how much pain he was in. But as soon as he was out it was better (still there but better). He also says he feels something stuck in his throat. He had something to eat and then said it was beginning to hurt again.

I thought it would be a 24 hour bug, but it's still going on. Being a weekend now I'll have to wait to next week to try and get an appointment with the doc and not sure we will even get one.

I'm not sure what to do, as he's never had stomach pains before.

NuffSaidSam Sat 14-Jan-17 05:33:20

I wouldn't worry too much if there are no other symptoms.

Could it be a stitch? Anxiety? For attention? Trying to get out of swimming?

Give him some neurofen/calpol, a hot water bottle and tell him to lie down in a quiet room (no TV etc.). I find boredom an excellent way to determine how serious the condition really is.

Keep a close eye for the development of any other symptoms though.

Also worth thinking about whether he's eaten anything new in the last few days that could be causing him trouble.

christmasiscoming12 Sun 15-Jan-17 00:27:44

Thanks Nuffsaidsam. He woke up this morning in a lot of pain so I called 111 who booked him an appointment for 15 min later. Doctor was very thorough, even better than our local GP.

Thorough exam, pushing the abdominal, temp, lymph nodes, ears, throat urine...and found nothing.

Said to continue with calpol and was likely a virus. Had a quiet day today and the pain has been coming and going.

I'll see how he gets on tomorrow. He doesn't typically make up stories and loves swimming so I don't think it is for attention. He's very subdued for a kid who can't sit still for long.

Notthinkingclearly Sun 15-Jan-17 22:31:24

That it is so strange as my daughter of 7 has had similar symptoms and also described stuck in the throat symptom. Begining think now a wired virus. Hope he feels better soon.

Notthinkingclearly Sun 15-Jan-17 22:32:04

Weird not wired!

christmasiscoming12 Mon 16-Jan-17 09:28:42

How's your daughter today Notthinkingclearly ? My DS is off school today because he said it was now worse. Have docs appt at 10.30.

Asked school if any other children have complained of similar symptoms and she said no, so not sure it is a virus!

BigBroIsWatching Mon 16-Jan-17 23:12:50

All of my family, and I mean 9 of us, have had weird tummy pains for the past two weeks. Some lasted days, some lasted the whole two weeks. There really is an odd virus going around. It may be that? The tummy just cramps but nothing happens.

twofalls Tue 17-Jan-17 08:49:03

Could he be constipated. My friends did had this and turned out to be IBS triggered by gluten intolerance. But the main symptom was the pain you describe caused by constipation.

bruffin Tue 17-Jan-17 08:51:27

there us a bug going round at the moment, which seem to affect the glands in the stomach. Both dh and i had stomach achevfor a couple of days for no apparent reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now