Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anemia despite iron

(3 Posts)
Bb14 Wed 11-Jan-17 18:15:34

My DD who is five was diagnosed with iron deficient anemia about 8monthd ago. It was severe she had 4 months on ferrous fumarate (iron) then a blood test. Her ferratin levels had improved slightly (so did her symptoms) dr decided on 3 more months of iron then a repeat test. She was becoming increasingly tired tearful, pale and complaining of tummy ache. Had a blood test this week and the levels have dropped again despite the iron supplements. Any ideas what could be causing it? She doesn't have coeliacs. We have a Paeds referral now.

youcantgoback Wed 11-Jan-17 18:27:07

It might be worth asking about checking her B12, thyroid and for pernacious anaemia. Make sure you get a print of any results so you have a record. They might also check her for coeliac as it causes poor nutrient absorption.
A lot of people don't tolerate ferrous fumarate and there are gentler options but they probably cost more.

Bb14 Wed 11-Jan-17 18:46:07

Thanks. I think they checked her B12 and it was fine. They definitely screened for coeliacs.

Getting a print out is great advice. I didn't realise how complex anaemia is!

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now