Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sicky baby

(6 Posts)
emmal2611 Tue 10-Jan-17 22:28:38

My LO is 7 weeks old and has been quite sicky since birth, she can be sick up to 3 hours after feeds.. she is in no pain whatsoever, putting on weight and is really content just sick a lot.. she is on aptamil 1 and was wondering if anyone else had this problem I got recommended the anti reflux but as sometimes she doesn't poo for a few days I did not want to put her on this and take the risk of constipation which I have seen is pretty common. Also HV told me to try infacol but I didn't understand how that could help with sickness have only gave her one dose and she has been more sick than she has ever been and it is clear? Any advice????

LadyFarnborough Tue 10-Jan-17 22:43:52

Are you using powder or ready made? We were initially using the ready made stuff and had the same problem, he was very sicky and would bring a lot back each feed plus every time he was laid down. Went onto the powder and he's like a different baby.

emmal2611 Tue 10-Jan-17 22:58:45

I'm using the powder, I used the ready made at one point but she was no better.

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Wed 11-Jan-17 13:29:34

When you say sick how much sick? Are we talking projectile full feeds or posseting which is quite normal with newborns when they just get a bit full. They're stomach muscles are a bit immature so as they get bigger and stronger they often grow out of it.

Gaviscon which does thicken feeds is where to start I'm afraid. It made my DS really constipated but we were also given some lactulose to help him poo. Unfortunately gaviscon didn't really help so we were given ranitidine which worked very well. He had severe reflux and a cows milk allergy but grew out of it eventually. Talk to your GP.

InTheKitchenAtParties Wed 11-Jan-17 13:44:13

emmal I feel your pain! I also had a very sicky baby. My DD finally grew out of it at around 9 months. I tried the aptamil anti reflux. Hated it. The constipation was awful. Cow & Gate anti reflux is much better. It made the situation manageable. You will need to use variable flow teats because its pretty thick stuff. But honestly there is no miracle cure. Just be prepared to be changing baby's clothes several times a day until she gets a bit bigger.

emmal2611 Wed 11-Jan-17 13:53:08

Some feeds she's not even sick, it was my HV that got me more concerned as she said I should think about different milk and gaviscon.. but then spoke to my gp and she said that I should just try deal with the sickness if she is a good baby otherwise because doing things could start a whole load of problems if other things do not agree with her. I was also wondering is there any chance because she is quite windy, that may be the reason she is being sick so much HV suggested that. Feel as if my LO has never got a bib off but i would rather deal with the sickness than constipation as she is progressing well and is really content most nights sleeping for 7 too 8 hours so I don't want to change things then loss that lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now