Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hand foot and mouth advice

(3 Posts)
peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 09-Jan-17 12:18:14

2yo DS has suspected HFM. Vomited Saturday night and had a high temperature, diarrhoea Sunday morning, then absolutely fine although wouldn't sleep Sunday night. Monday morning (today) he has a rash of small red flat spots on his feet, legs, hands, arms, bottom and face. They've since begun to blister and spread. He's still eating and drinking ok and doesn't have a temperature. He's playing happily and you wouldn't know he was poorly except for the rash.
The GP phoned and agreed it sounded like HFM and advised me on how to treat, but I forgot to ask whether we can go out/mix with others/whether he is infectious etc. Anyone know?

Doje Mon 09-Jan-17 12:22:34

I think the blisters are infectious, and bodily fluids - so he he drinks from a cup and then someone else drinks from it for example. That and coughs and sneezes etc.

However, when we had it, the GP didn't advise us not to go out. confused I think it's because it's relatively harmless they don't worry about you mixing. We stayed in though, as I wouldn't have liked to pass it on to others.

peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 09-Jan-17 12:35:10

Yes that was my thinking, that I wouldn't like to pass it around if I can avoid it. Just wasn't sure when he stops being infectious. Sure we'll still go outside for walks etc, just not to playgroups (arrrgghh).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now