Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help, incubating chicken pox...maybe?

(3 Posts)
theguiltymother1 Sun 08-Jan-17 19:04:01

DD1 (5) had chickenpox 19 days ago, as in we saw the first spot 19 days ago, she was off colour before but we didn't know why so was still at school etc. I was expecting DD2 (2) to come down with it this week or before. On Friday (17 days after DD1 got it) DD2 had slight temperature / grumpiness and off her food so I assumed that was the start BUT since then nothing has happened. Today I have her calpol because she appears to be teething (hand in mouth/ dribble) and she ate a large tea and seemed her normal happy self, no fever etc and no spots. I am checking frequently. The issue is do I still send her to the childminder like this? I mean she seems well, is slightly off her food I would say but I think that's possibly the teeth more than anything as she is still accepting her favourites and anything soft. I don't know what to do, I am supposed to work this week but had assumed I would need to be off to take care of her but now thinking either maybe she has escaped it or it's just taking forever to show...

Does anyone know if it's up to 21 days from first exposure? They don't share a room but have been around each other every day obviously over Xmas.

Shootingstar2289 Sun 08-Jan-17 19:23:29

Last year my son caught chicken pox from school. My daughter (7 months at the time) came out in spots just over two weeks after he got them. I believe the incubation period is usually around two weeks but can be longer.

Before the spots appeared on her she had a terrible cold, temp, off food for a few days before.

I'm not sure where you stand on sending her to the childminder. If she isn't poorly, I would probably send her. You cannot really keep her away for something that might not happen?

theguiltymother1 Sun 08-Jan-17 19:56:41

Yes that's what I thought, I suppose if I didn't know she had been exposed I would send her as she is but perhaps will make the call in the morning if still no sign of spots! I would be v surprised if she avoided catching it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now