Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

ASD diagnostic tool online?

(7 Posts)
AtSea1979 Sat 07-Jan-17 21:28:20

Could anyone recommend a diagnostic tool for ASD/Aspergers online that I could check for DS. CAMHS waiting list is around 18 months.

thisusernameisnotavailable Sat 07-Jan-17 21:32:35

Can't help but in similar limbo with DS

lougle Sat 07-Jan-17 21:40:30

You can't diagnose online. ASD is a lifelong condition and is only diagnosed after a careful assessment. However, you can access the CAST test which was formulated by the Autism Research Centre and gives an idea of the likelihood of a child being on the ASD spectrum.

AtSea1979 Sun 08-Jan-17 09:31:16

Sorry I probably didn't mean diagnostic tool, I probably meant assessment.

Shootingstar2289 Sun 08-Jan-17 19:27:55

Unfortunately ASD diagnosis isn't usually quick.

I was told it could take 12-18 months but it actually only took 9 months from being put on the pathway, for my son to be diagnosed - we were lucky. It's obviously different in areas. I have no idea what CAMHS is? It's called the ASDAT pathway here in Cornwall.

Myself and the school my son goes to did chase them up a few times though!

AtSea1979 Sun 08-Jan-17 19:38:08

Thanks, I think I need to see what school think a first point of contact.

plimsolls Sun 08-Jan-17 19:46:13

Many autism assessment pathways use the CAST as a screening tool for referrals so it's worth looking at (linked above) Please do bear in mind that the types of behaviours seen in children with autism (and therefore used to diagnose) are also seen in many children who don't have autism. This is one reason why diagnosis takes a long time and is done by highly trained professionals- there are a lot of things to consider and to take into account so a child could have lots of "ticks" on a checklist like the CAST but would not have autism.

Depending on your area and the age of your child, there are other avenues of support whilst you are on the CAMHS waiting list. Speech and language therapy and Educational Psychology services should be able to help you. These can be access through your child's nursery, pre-school or school. In some areas, Sure Start Children'S Centres can also make referrals to various Early Years support services including SLT or EP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now