Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Quite a personal problem for poor dd

(19 Posts)
Realitea Wed 04-Jan-17 22:33:21

Dd (6) is rather red and itchy 'down there' and I really feel sorry for her. It's been there off and on quite a while and it usually goes with sudocrem. I had a look earlier and there seems to be a bit of white stuff around the outside at the top. Could this be me not making sure she's clean enough? Kids can't get thrush (or can they?)
I really don't know what to do!

PhilODox Wed 04-Jan-17 22:34:22

Yes! Thrush is just a yeast infection, anyone can get it.
Pop to the pharmacy tomorrow, and ask for some cream.

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Wed 04-Jan-17 22:36:27

Yes docs or pharmacy. Tell pharmacy your daughters age so they give the correct strength.

LexieSinclair Wed 04-Jan-17 22:37:14

Yes they can get thrush! I took my 7yo to the GP for the same problem and she was prescribed a canesten type cream which sorted it. I had been using Sudocrem previously and apparently this is very drying.
She has stopped having baths now and only uses unperfumed products and touch wood, she has been fine since.

Realitea Wed 04-Jan-17 22:38:23

Oh thank you! What a relief to know what it is and that I can get her what she needs!

imip Wed 04-Jan-17 22:39:22

We use canesten with a steroid in it, very effective.

Wolfiefan Wed 04-Jan-17 22:39:26

I'm sure sudocrem wouldn't sort thrush. DD gets this if she doesn't wipe properly. Really sore.

SusannahD Wed 04-Jan-17 22:39:35

Kids can get thrush, a soap could cause it so not really about cleanliness but an imbalance. I usually get it if I have antibiotics. It's easily treatable with cream from the chemist.

CoteDAzur Wed 04-Jan-17 22:41:53

If Sudocrem sorts it out, then your DD does NOT have thrush. She just needs to clean/wipe herself better.

Wolfiefan Wed 04-Jan-17 22:44:52

Agree with Cote.

Realitea Wed 04-Jan-17 22:51:50

The 1% thrush creams say not for people under 16. Is it definitely safe? I do think it is thrush to be honest. She has been on antibiotics and there is white stuff (although it's around the top in the er..folds!)

thisusernameisnotavailable Wed 04-Jan-17 22:55:50

I used clotrimazole with us basically the unbranded and cheaper version of canestan

imip Wed 04-Jan-17 23:03:34

Thrush can get into the rash, just as it does nappy rash. I have 4 dads and it has happened to all of them to differing degrees. Different to how I get thrush when I am on antibiotics. Not internal iyswim.

SusannahD Wed 04-Jan-17 23:07:00

If you are unsure take your DD to the GP.

imip Thu 05-Jan-17 07:10:58

Yes, agree with GP. The cream is prescribed.

Realitea Thu 05-Jan-17 08:22:18

Hmm tried e45 last night and it's fine again. Very strange! Will go to gp if it gets worse

Izzy82 Fri 06-Jan-17 00:28:19

My son (2.4) currently has thrush. He would let me touch his willy when changing his nappy. GP diagnosed thrush and gave him cream.
Stop faffing with dopey creams that temporarily work. Take her to the GP and get it sorted. You can't be too careful with her bits!!!

CoteDAzur Fri 06-Jan-17 08:27:28

It's not strange - it goes away with cream because your DD doesn't have thrush. She has nappy rash because she doesn't wipe herself properly. That is why it goes away with sudocrem, e45 etc which create a barrier between the irritating waste and her skin. It happened to my DD too around the time she was learning to clean herself after the toilet.

Please don't administer thrush medication to your child. Not before a Dr sees her & gives a prescription if necessary.

BigGreenOlives Fri 06-Jan-17 08:30:20

Stop using bubble bath if she has baths & make sure she gets out of the bath as soon as you've washed her hair if she is an in the bath hair washer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now