Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Calpol isn't working

(22 Posts)
Finelinebetweenchaos Wed 04-Jan-17 19:56:24

Hoping someone has some experience with this. Basically calpol isn't bringing DD's (age 4) temperature down. Nurofen is the only thing that has had any impact today which brought it down for a bit but I can't give her any more of that yet and her temp is now 39.5. It has been fluctuating up to 40 since yesterday with a few hours today at normal temperature (thanks to nurofen).

Not sure what to do. She has no rash and was ok earlier when the temp went down. Basically, is it weird for nurofen to work when calpol doesn't and should I be worried about this temperature? I might call 111 and see what they say just in case...

Haggisfish Wed 04-Jan-17 20:00:25

I'd call 111. How is she in herself?

Finelinebetweenchaos Wed 04-Jan-17 20:03:23

She was ok before sleep. Was mumbling just now about something random but when I woke her up a bit she said she was hot and then got a bit cross. She was like this last night and was OK but calpol was working better and I am just worried that it might be serious.

She doesn't have the symptoms listed on NHS direct like mottled skin, breathing difficulties etc. She is a bit pale and her feet were a bit cold earlier but not icy

booellesmum Wed 04-Jan-17 20:05:51

If you are not happy call 111.
Not unusual at all for neurofen to work and not calpol.
When my lo was around 12 months she had a really high temperatures not reducing with calpol. Out of hours GP sent us to hospital who gave her neurofen - temperature came right down and discharged an hour later! Calpol never worked for her and I only used it between doses of neurofen for pain rather than temp.
Hope your DD is better soon.

TheoriginalLEM Wed 04-Jan-17 20:06:06

That is a very high temperature, especially after taking neurofen, you can give calpol alongside neurofen, but I would be inclined to call 111 for advice.

Finelinebetweenchaos Wed 04-Jan-17 20:07:48

She has woken up and is crying but has got herself out of bed to go to the loo

pklme Wed 04-Jan-17 20:08:49

Are you giving both calpol and ibuprofen? Ice poles to suck when she's awake. I've always put a damp flannel around the neck to help cool them, and dampen off the hair. Someone else said that wiping them down was old fashioned and dangerous, but I never read that.

Finelinebetweenchaos Wed 04-Jan-17 20:09:07

Thanks for all your replies! I have been giving both calpol and nurofen today but you have to leave longer between nurofen doses and can only do 3 in 24 hours so I need to wait a bit before I give her another dose.

Finelinebetweenchaos Wed 04-Jan-17 20:09:42

She has a damp flannel on her forehead. Ice cubes are a good idea!

Okkitokkiunga Wed 04-Jan-17 20:10:11

My DC always have high temps. Depending on what's wrong, sometimes calpol works and sometimes nurofen works. Most important thing is to make sure she is drinking often so is well hydrated. Have you checked her tonsils. I use the torch on my phone for this. White lesions may indicate tonsillitis. When DS had it, neurogenic was what kept his temp down. How long has she been unwell?

Okkitokkiunga Wed 04-Jan-17 20:10:54

As in was she poorly before temp?

Finelinebetweenchaos Wed 04-Jan-17 20:11:34

I will have a look at the tonsils, thank you! She became feverish yesterday morning.

Finelinebetweenchaos Wed 04-Jan-17 20:12:13

No she was right as rain before the temp started to rise. Just suddenly got really tired and went to bed. I checked and voila - fever.

Okkitokkiunga Wed 04-Jan-17 20:14:37

Before using ice, check on nhs website as In sure it says not to do that.

Okkitokkiunga Wed 04-Jan-17 20:17:13

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/treating-high-temperature-children.aspx

Actually doesn't mention ice but does say doing stuff doesn't really help. Though I do use a damp flannel just because it seems to bring dc relief.

Hope she feels better soon and that you both get a good nights sleep.

Finelinebetweenchaos Wed 04-Jan-17 20:20:34

Thank you!! I hope so! My other DD just woke up screeching too so I'm not holding out much hope for a restful night... sad

I'm going to see if I can get her temp down in the next half an hour and if not will call NHS Direct

Sirzy Wed 04-Jan-17 21:32:53

Nice guildines say don't use damp towels and things as they lower the skin temperature which can force the core temperature up.

hanban89 Wed 04-Jan-17 22:33:50

I posted on here last week with same thing and got great help.
I would definitely phone 111 who will probably send you to GP with a temp like that. Hopefully been seen by now, but yes check tonsils as previously mentioned. My DD1 gets high fevers and it's always tonsils!
Hope she is better soon.

Okkitokkiunga Thu 05-Jan-17 09:56:25

How is your DD today Fine? Hope you all got sleep.

pklme Thu 05-Jan-17 18:53:57

How is she?

I don't get the 'nice' recommendations at all. My kids vomited if you gave them calpol, and tend to get heat stroke. As a family we cope with heat (and temperatures) by putting wet scarves around our necks. It effectively cools the blood and I think we'd get sick quickly if we didn't!

Haggisfish Thu 05-Jan-17 19:55:11

It's because if you cool the blood like that, the brain registers the blood as cool and alters the body's responses to warm the blood up again.

Finelinebetweenchaos Fri 06-Jan-17 10:45:51

Thank you for checking in! She is ok! Still feverish but we have been to the GP and they have prescribed antibiotics. I'm keeping a close eye on her but she seems a bit better today! Fingers crossed and thanks for all your advice!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now