Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What do you do when your kids cough at night?

(14 Posts)
PoptartPoptart Wed 04-Jan-17 12:57:18

just that really. DS is 11 and has a post viral cough. No temp or asthma, eating fine and happy in himself. It's just this damn cough which wakes him (and me) up. I give him age appropriate medicine, Vicks on feet, humidifier in room, honey and warm drinks, prop the pillows up etc but nothing makes a difference. He's had this before and it took about 3 weeks to finally disappear. My question is, do I just leave him to it and accept there is nothing that can be done or should I be sitting with him or getting him up? If we go downstairs for awhile we just end up watching TV and staying awake and them we're both even more knackered for school/work the next day. Getting up doesn't actually help the coughing btw. But I feel bad just laying there listening to him. What should I do?

dancemom Wed 04-Jan-17 13:02:55

Try anti histimine

Smooth the inflammation causing the cough and stops the cycle of coughing / irritation

PoptartPoptart Wed 04-Jan-17 13:07:58

The cough medicine that I give him contains an antihistamine but doesn't seem to help.

hanban89 Wed 04-Jan-17 22:36:21

Piriton?
Also covonia do a mentholated cough drink that's suitable from age 5 and it's been helping me. Sounds as if your doing as much as possible. Bloody coughs!

drinkswineoutofamug Thu 05-Jan-17 01:16:01

Vapour rub on the feet then put socks back on

shewolfmum Fri 06-Jan-17 00:31:47

Half cut onion by bed at night...honey and lemon with apple cider vinegar...just a wee drop...homeopathy has worked wonders for my dd in the past

shewolfmum Fri 06-Jan-17 00:32:10

Oh and mega dosing vit c...sodium absorbate

KeyserSophie Fri 06-Jan-17 00:34:41

The only really effective thing for a dry cough (i.e. a suppressant) is Codeine but I dont think you can get codeine based cough medicines for kids that age.

IfYouDontImagineNothingHappens Fri 06-Jan-17 00:46:09

Stick the TV on for him - distracts from coughing and he might eventually fall asleep. The you can get some sleep.

hillbilly Sun 22-Jan-17 22:01:56

My daughter has similar. Since beginning of December. Doc says it's post viral but it's really bothering her. Not heard of the Vicks thing but will get some tomorrow.

lozzylizzy Mon 23-Jan-17 16:47:24

I always leave the window open a little, even if it is freezing. I remember a traveller woman in the walk in centre telling me that central heating makes it worse when I was in there with my baby. I'm not sure what truth there is in it but I have noticed a stream of fresh air in the room at night makes breathing and coughs easier for everyone at my house.

purplefizz26 Mon 23-Jan-17 16:55:01

Piriton syrup, works wonders if it could be an allergy related cough.

purplefizz26 Mon 23-Jan-17 16:55:40

And no central heating on.

hillbilly Tue 24-Jan-17 11:35:18

I tried vicks on her feet last night and it worked! Def a lot less coughing :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now