Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler with problem pooh - advice please!

(7 Posts)
theAntsareMyFriends Wed 04-Jan-17 08:28:39

TMI alert.
My DS is nearly 3 and for about a month and a half his pooh has been the consistency of a soft cow pat. Before that he was completely normal and nothing in his diet or lifestyle has changed between the time when it was fine and the time when it wasn't.

He is fussy but eats a fairly balanced diet with most stuff homemade. So far we've tired:

Cutting stuff out for a week (dried fruit, peppers, oranges)
Tried reducing things (fruit - he loves it and would eat a lot of allowed to)
Made changes (wholewheat pasta instead of white, oat bran mixed into things)
Adding things to his diet - this hasn't worked as he usually refuses to try new things at the moment

I'm reluctant to cut out things like dairy or gluten as he's shown no signs of intolerance before and they make up quite a bit of his limited diet and so he wouldn't then be eating enough.

He isn't ill, no tummy aches, putting on weight, growing normally and fit and active but I just don't know what else to try. I've checked for worms but am now at a loss.

I'd rather stay away from medication if possible as he isn't in any other way unwell. I haven't taken him to a GP as I don't really know how to describe it to them - its not diarrhoea as its not accompanied by any other symptoms but it still really wearing. I really want to get it sorted out as soon as possible as its getting in the way of potty training and all the wiping after a pooh is upsetting him.

Thank you for reading. Any advice would be very welcome.

TeaBelle Wed 04-Jan-17 08:30:38

I'm a bit confused - why do you want to change his poo? If it's been like it for 6 weeks I'd assume it's his gut maturing and this is his new norm.

Thinkingblonde Wed 04-Jan-17 08:36:56

It could be the whole wheat in his diet. High fibre foods have the same effect on me.

moggle Wed 04-Jan-17 09:47:44

That doesn't really sound like a problem to me... my DD's poo is like this and when it's any harder she gets upset. In fact I came on this board to ask about constipation :-) I read that toddler's poo should be the consistency of hoummous?! It might be that he is going to the loo more frequently and so the poos aren't drying out as much. If you havebn't changed his diet then as Tea says I imagine it's just a random change in his gut.

If it's the wiping getting you both down, have you tried moist wipes for cleaning him up? (Don't put them down the toilet afterwards as you'll block your pipes, you'll need a plastic bag or bin). I know they aren't great for the environment but they do help you feel cleaner.

theAntsareMyFriends Wed 04-Jan-17 09:49:51

Thank you for the replies.

tea that's really interesting. I hadn't considered it could be normal and had thought there must be something wrong as he had changed. Do you know if it will change back again or is this how it will be for him for the foreseeable future?

thinking we've changed back to white pasta, etc but he's always had wholewheat bread. I think I'll change to white bread for a bit and see if that helps.

theAntsareMyFriends Wed 04-Jan-17 09:54:48

moggle thank you too. I'm feeling reassured. We've use wipes but its just that because he's in pants it goes down his legs and he cries when I wipe him. I think maybe if I warm them first as the cold may be making him upset.

I'm really glad I've posted about this. I've been worried about it for ages and have been even more worried that I haven't done anything about it!

moggle Wed 04-Jan-17 16:27:45

Oh I see - that must be a bit upsetting when he has an accident in pants and much more time consuming for both of you to sort out than a nice tidy turd (sorry!). I don't know anything about potty training (yet!) but hopefully as that progresses and he's doing more poos in the potty or toilet it will be less of a big deal. I suppose it is important to keep jollying him along with it and not let him see any frustration at another mess to clean up. Perhaps a small reward when he does manage to do a poo in the potty/loo?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now