Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Conjunctivitis trouble

(12 Posts)
UnbornMortificado Tue 03-Jan-17 09:01:33

Hi wondering if anyone has any tips. DD2 has conjunctivitis got the drops from a pharmacist as the doctors was shut.

She's not happy. It was a two person job to get it treated. One person to pin her down and the other (me) to force her eye open.

Is there an easier way? I feel bloody horrible but obviously it needs doing. Tried reasoning and tried bribary.

She 4 (just turned) but was a prem baby so quite young for her age. I'm hoping someone has some advice as we both ended up in tears this morning.

Shootingstar2289 Tue 03-Jan-17 18:27:29

Unless the symptoms are severe. Drops aren't neccesarily needed. I was told drops won't clear the infection any after than washing the eyes with cotton wool and cooled boiled water (new ball of cotton wool for every wipe and eye obviously).

My son has Autism so getting drops in his eyes would be a nightmare now. He has had it twice. Once when he was a baby and we used drops but the doctor said they weren't really needed and the second one cleared by cleaning with water!

Shootingstar2289 Tue 03-Jan-17 18:28:13

And it cleared up just as quickly with just cleaning 😀

Good luck!

UnbornMortificado Tue 03-Jan-17 19:17:32

It's only the one eye and it's not too severe although I'm not a HCP.

Thanks Shooting il give it a shot. DD doesn't have SEN but she's ridiculous when it comes to anything medical. It used to be just to be just as bad to give her, her inhaler.

She was a neonatal baby I blame that for her complete hysteria over anything medical. She's stronger then she looks I've just had to half sit on her and hold her face still to administer it while she screamed.

God knows what the neighbours think.

theaveragewife Tue 03-Jan-17 19:19:49

Yes there is an easier way!!!! Chloramphenicol ointment, you can get it at any pharmacy, make sure you specify ointment! Put on cotton wool pad and sweep over base of eyelashes. It is just like a gel.

Dc1 had recurrent conjunctivitis and was petrified of drops!

shewolfmum Tue 03-Jan-17 20:13:21

We use euphrasia tincture from helios pharmacy. Drops in warm water and bathr eyes...my dd lays back in my arms and relaxes! All better in a couple of days. Wonderful stuff...not called eyebright for nothing!

Penfold007 Tue 03-Jan-17 20:17:07

This is going to sound really weird but a cool damp teabag to either wipe her eye or leave on it as a sort of eye mask can be really helpful. My Dad is a retired optician and swears the tannin in tea really help with conjunctivitis or stys. Hope she soon feels better.

UnbornMortificado Tue 03-Jan-17 20:41:56

Il be giving these a go. It came on over bank holiday so I had to pop in the pharmacy instead of seeing a GP.

I take my hat off to any parents dealing with meltdowns on a regular basis! I've just had a bit cry in the bath over it and I'm not a crying person.

Thank you all for the advice mn never lets you down on these things flowers

theaveragewife Tue 03-Jan-17 20:47:54

Don't cry flowers

Seriously though - chloramphenicol ointment should be the exact same treatment you already have, just in a different form. Check the name on the bottle!

Daisychain2017 Wed 04-Jan-17 00:41:36

Do it when she's asleep - just gently lift the lid slightly and drop in. She'll stir at most. No need for meltdowns!

UnbornMortificado Thu 05-Jan-17 14:45:53

Thank you for all the advice flowers

I slyly put a drop in while she was asleep, it didn't even work her so it can't of stung as much as she made out.

Thank god it has now cleared but I will remember all this fab advice fo next time (if there is one)

I never thought conjunctivitis would lead to such bloody drama!

Dontstopmovin Fri 24-Mar-17 20:42:51

Just wanted to say thank you to the poster who suggested applying while they're sleeping! DH and I have spent the last two days feeling awful and getting so stressed having to hold down our screaming squirming 16 month old DS to get the drops in (it's been a two person job!)...after reading this thread we waited till he fell asleep tonight and applied them without him even stirring! Genius! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now