Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

8 yo and bad stomach cramps

(7 Posts)
eddielizzard Mon 02-Jan-17 21:46:53

my 8yo dd has had a week of flu followed swiftly by a week of noro virus. She's had a day throwing up, a day with diarrhoea and for the last 4 days awful stomach cramps such that she can't walk properly. she wakes up during the night with the pain too. she refuses medicine so we've been giving her hot water bottles and gently massaging her tummy which seems to help. over the course of the last 4 days she doesn't seem to have got much better. she isn't eating very much because of the pain. doing a wee she says is also painful, but an achey pain not a burny one so i don't think it's a uti. her wee doesn't smell, it's normal.

is there anything else i can do?

shall i take her off to the gp's tomorrow (assuming there's an appointment available)?

tia

hanban89 Mon 02-Jan-17 23:04:53

I would definitely get her seen by GP. Is she dehydrated? Bearing down to wee might be painful with a UTI doesn't have to be burning pain? Any temp?

MintChocAddict Mon 02-Jan-17 23:11:55

Definitely GP or kids A & E tonight if the pain is so bad that she can't walk properly. There's a thing called (something) adenitis (can't remember its full name) that mirrors the symptoms of appendicitis and often occurs post viral. Depending on where pain is you should probably be seeking advice to rule out appendicitis too. Hope things improve soon.

eddielizzard Tue 03-Jan-17 07:35:22

thank you both.

definitely not dehydrated and no temperature. i've been making sure she drinks a lot. not eating enough though.

last night i gave her a suppository of paracetamol (she won't let me do that again...) and i think she has had a good night. she's still sleeping so i'll see how she is for breakfast. with any luck there'll be an improvement. otherwise i'll be phoning the gp.

eddielizzard Tue 03-Jan-17 10:08:33

she's much better this morning so i think we're getting there...

MintChocAddict Tue 03-Jan-17 18:57:01

Glad to hear she's on the mend!

eddielizzard Sat 14-Jan-17 20:47:17

update: she went rapidly downhill so i ended up taking her to a&e. we have no walk in centres so not much choice, and they admitted her straight away. it was quite complicated and a few things going on, so i won't go into them here as it's not likely to help anyone else.

she's on the mend now, and hopefully will get this all sorted in the next few months.

thanks for the kind words everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now