Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox tips and advice

(13 Posts)
KittyandTeal Mon 02-Jan-17 10:29:16

My 4yo dd has chicken pox! Only a few spots/blisters atm but I'm expecting more to come out.

I saw a post about someone's dd who was very poorly, I had no idea it could be so serious, so thank goodness I'll be vigilant now if she goes down hill. I'm hoping for run of the mill, regular chicken pox.

I have calpol, dh has gone out for calimine (sp?) lotion and tights to make an oat thing for her bath.

Any other tips for helping her be more comfortable? I know not to take her out in contact with anyone or preschool until all the spots are completely crusted (had the 'no you can't take her to the shops in case you come across a pregnant woman or someone with a weakened immune system' discussion with dh this morning)

I'd rather she had it now than later. How long roughly does it last from the first spots?

KittyandTeal Mon 02-Jan-17 12:33:11

Anyone?

Joneseygirl77 Mon 02-Jan-17 13:48:47

Virasoothe or poxcilin helped here along with bicarb of soda baths. Lasted 6 days for spots to start coming out here but my DD had a bad dose of it. She was very tired and off her food for a week though.

Haggisfish Mon 02-Jan-17 13:51:46

Virasoothe much better than calamine lotion. Quite expensive but worth it.

KittyandTeal Mon 02-Jan-17 13:59:09

Thanks. 6 days isn't quite as bad as I was thinking.

She's been off her food for a few days now so I've been half expecting it tbh.

She's just shattered atm so lots of long naps and early nights I guess

Haggard1 Mon 02-Jan-17 14:10:44

Bicarb baths and antihistamine.

SmellyChristmasCandles Mon 02-Jan-17 14:13:52

Eurax lotion can be dabbed on with cotton wool. We found it really stopped the itching for long periods and as it is absorbed, it doesn't go powdery on the skin like calamine lotion does. Bicarb of soda in the bath helped as well. Ours also lost their appetite for a few days, so lots of little treats to tempt them to eat. Otherwise , just cuddles and reassurance that she'll soon be better. X

PastysPrincess Mon 02-Jan-17 14:14:24

Poxclin Foam was amazing for my littleone.

KittyandTeal Mon 02-Jan-17 14:44:01

Brilliant. Is the bicarbonate in the bath and creams for the spots as soon as they come out or once they pop?

She's running a temp so I guess calpol to bring it down (not too high at 37 degrees but she runs cold iyswim)

civilfawlty Mon 02-Jan-17 14:47:58

We've just finished a bout of the pox. My ds was too poorly to eat for a few days, but he liked ice lollies, which was a good way of getting fluids in. Would recommend them as an option. Also, after a few days, your dd will feel loads better, but still be infectious. Good to find other kids who have had it for a short play date to break up the incarceration.
I was mostly shocked by how ill ds was when he was poorly, and how long it's taken to get completely over it.
Good luck!

KittyandTeal Mon 02-Jan-17 15:23:21

Thanks. I think most of her preschool have had it in this round so there should be plenty of friends to choose from when she's a bit better.

She's brighter than I expected but then she's not got too many spots. I'm guessing I should expect more by tmrw?

Mrstumbletap Mon 02-Jan-17 15:41:46

My DS that is nearly 4 had it the week before Xmas. He had a temperature, wasn't interested in food and just wanted to sleep. When the spots started coming out he started to feel much better in himself. I told him not to scratch and we got some anti itch cream from tesco that is good for chicken pox called Eurax I think.

I didn't bath him for about 3/4 days as some people had told me that it makes them scratch, he was only at home with me so wasn't really smelly or dirty. But when I did give him a bath on day 4, I put porridge oats in a sock and tied it and held it under the tap when I ran the bath water. The milky water looked quite inviting really. Seemed to make him scab up quite well. He is fine now, all the spots apart from 2 big ones are gone.

I heard 7 days ill/sick, 7 days of spots popping up, 7 days until scabbed and better on MN and it was roughly right.

100milesanhour Mon 02-Jan-17 15:45:57

Buy virasoothe. It's the best stuff for chicken pox.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now