Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby fingernail (photo) what is this and will it go away on its own? Or

(8 Posts)
Christmascrackedit Sun 01-Jan-17 13:09:06

Do I take to doctors? Has anyone seen this before? Fingernail is white and skin underneath is peeled a bit. Awful picture quality. Hard to get a photo. It's not hurting!/bothering him.

HarryTheFluff Sun 01-Jan-17 14:15:35

Has he been ill recently? (In past few weeks) In particular could he have had hand foot and mouth disease? We had that and it made our nails go funny and peel off. Can't really see pic that well though!

Christmascrackedit Sun 01-Jan-17 19:35:50

I know, the picture is awful. He kept laughing and pulling his hand away! No, not been ill. I heard that's going around! Will be taking him to a chemist on Tuesday to get an opinion...then maybe the doctors.. A nurse friend of mine said it might have been caught on something and be a 'dead' nail.

Thanks for replying Harry smile

ramnikmathur Mon 02-Jan-17 02:44:21

Please post a clearer picture. Can't see clearly what's wrong with any nail!

differentnameforthis Mon 02-Jan-17 07:10:50

It does look a bit like the nail has separated from the bed underneath. This has happened to both my girls on different occasions. Both lost the nail and they both grew back with no lasting issues.

HarryTheFluff Mon 02-Jan-17 08:27:51

No worries! Pharmacist a good idea I always forget about their ability to look at minor things.

Missmiller Mon 02-Jan-17 09:07:54

My little boy had this after catching his finger in a drawer, it soon grew out.

Christmascrackedit Mon 02-Jan-17 17:30:42

Oooh sounds like maybe he's caught it on something. It looked quite a lot better today. The nail was all thick and white, but now its looking normal again. Am I going mad? lol.

Yeah, I always forget to ask pharmacists! I'll pop down tomorrow.. if its worse again! Thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now