Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Respiratory Flutter Syndrome?

(4 Posts)
Apfelbunny Sat 31-Dec-16 21:23:50

Would be interested to know if anyone knows what this actually is, I've tried using Google but can only find medical jargon and from its name it sounds like it's what I was looking for.

My baby has, since birth (now 3 months old) always made noises in their sleep. Always. The one I usually end up worrying about (maybe not worry, but I think about it enough that I went on google) is when they're asleep every now and then they'll do a short burst of rapid breathing then go back to normal. Almost sounds like post heavy sobbing breathing (even if there's been no tears whatsoever)

Anyone know what I'm on about or whether it's cause for concern? Health visitor wasn't interested and said it's normal before I even finished describing it.

Advice gratefully received...

LilQueenie Sat 31-Dec-16 21:34:37

Its a bit like hiccups where the diaphragm contracts and the upper chest area flutters. Its rare from what I read but I would suggest filming your dc to catch it on film and show to your gp.

Apfelbunny Sun 01-Jan-17 06:31:36

Thanks- there's nothing visible that I can film as it only happens at night or nap times when it's dark and they're either under a blanket or in a sleeping bag (or as the 3yr old says..a suitcase)

Daisychain2017 Mon 02-Jan-17 04:29:06

Baby breathing does chop and change a bit and they do do this fast breathing then stop and restart and that's totally normal.
What other sounds are you worried about? My lo has laryngomalacia (floppy larynx) which causes a high pitched squeak in sleep but this noise is very distinctive.
Definitely video or record any sounds you are worried about as you'll never be able to show a dr when they are awake during the day.
Google normal newborn breathing and if yours is different from this def book a gp appointment and don't let them fob you off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now