Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox tips

(12 Posts)
rubblesrules Thu 29-Dec-16 06:30:30

15 month old came down with it on Boxing Day. Seems mild so far and we are on day 4 with a few new spots still coming up but only about 20 in total. Could it still get really really bad? She seems fine in herself.

How long until my 3 year old gets it?

BigMamaFratelli Thu 29-Dec-16 06:58:48

If they were exposed to the same source it could be any day now, or if the 3 yo catches it from little sister then about two weeks.

My tips would be get poxclin, Piriton liquid and calpol in, def no ibuprofen as it can be dangerous with chickenpox. Oat baths are very good too.

Dd2 got it first and had a mild dose, but poor dd1 had it much worse so be prepared for it not to be the same experience for both of yours.

rubblesrules Thu 29-Dec-16 07:23:42

Oh no! The thought of DS getting it worse fills me with dread... at least I have some warning to get supplies in and mentally prepare myself for it!

Really don't know how she has got it and he hasn't. She doesn't even go to nursery!

pklme Thu 29-Dec-16 07:37:52

Keep the scabs soft, as it reduces itching and scarring.

CaitAgusMadra Thu 29-Dec-16 07:43:27

Second oat baths, I put porridge oats in an old (clean) pop sock and tied it under the tap. Really soothing.

rubblesrules Thu 29-Dec-16 12:59:49

Really worried how mild it is and that it won't make her immune so she has to have it again...

She does have loads of BM still so Not sure if this has made it milder

imsorryiasked Thu 29-Dec-16 13:52:47

I second getting poxclin - Boots are usually the only stockists.
Don't worry about the mildness. I had six spots as a baby and didn't catch it again. DS had a very mild dose a couple of years ago and also hasn't had it since despite it going round school.

BikeRunSki Thu 29-Dec-16 13:58:56

I third Poxclin (you can sometimes get it on Amazon too). It's a mousse, do you can cover large areas without actually having to touch the skin.

IME when siblings catch CP off each other, the second one gets it about 12 days later.

Nannyloubie Thu 29-Dec-16 16:11:27

I'm currently looking after G6 who came down with them on Boxing Day as well, her twin had them in May and she never got them then so your 3 year old may not. We are spending a lot of time in porridge baths & are using aqueous calamine cream & piriton.

caperboo Thu 29-Dec-16 16:30:10

We had them the 23rd I just used piritons and a warm bath with 3 chamomile tea bags in , i also used the lotion and Calpol , my lo was irritable but generally handle them well ,she's scabbed up lovely ( my older children luckily have all had them )

BigMamaFratelli Thu 29-Dec-16 19:36:30

We got poxclin from the pharmacy at sainsbury's. It really is so much better than calamine for the itchiness and has the added benefit of helping stop the spots getting infected so they're less likely to scar.

rubblesrules Fri 30-Dec-16 07:29:10

Going to get some poxclin today. The spots have pretty much all scabbed over now so I think we have been very very lucky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now