Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chickenpox....how to try and prevent scarring?

(4 Posts)
BearsDontDigOnDancing Wed 28-Dec-16 14:02:54

So, DD age 7 got chickenpox over the xmas holidays...

Thought we had managed to get away with it, as the school sent a letter out about 3 weeks before they broke up saying there was cases in school.

I think she must have had a few spots in her hair that we had not noticed were there for a few days before I spotted them, as by the time I saw the first one in her hair, it was scabbed and sore looking (but then I think I also caught it with the hairbrush) then later in the day she started getting more on her face!

She was completely scabbed over by yesterday (which was about day 6-7 depending on when the ones in her scalp actually appeared)

So she is not not contagious since they are all scabbed/crusted over....but she still looks terrible and I am still actually wary about taking her out, as she has a few on her face, that look quite nasty, especially some of the first ones that appeared on her forehead, one of which she scratched while it was still in blister form!

We have an event tonight, that we have had booked since Feb and paid a fortune for, and I have been hoping she would be ok for, but I still am wary of taking her just because she still looks terrible and covered in scabs, especially a couple of largish ones on her head and neck which were some of the first to appear and have been the largest ones.

How long will the scabs and marks take to fade? I had been using the aqueous calamine cream, and bicarb baths, while she was itchy, but she is no longer as itchy now so have been giving her twice daily oilatum baths as that seems to help her, and using sudocrem on the large scabs that looks a bit red and inflamed around the edges.

But anything else that might help prevent scarring or make them look less angry really?

anotherdayanothersquabble Wed 28-Dec-16 19:26:56

Rosehip oil with tea tree and lavender, should have a good effect if applied several times a day for two days. IIRC DS's nasty looking scabs looked very much better two weeks later.

If she feels OK and isn't self conscious, I wouldn't worry. They look horrid all together but if she is dressed, you won't be able to see so many and most people will recognise that the spots have scabbed over.

BearsDontDigOnDancing Wed 28-Dec-16 21:52:00

Thanks so much, shall give that a try!

Luckily her outfit tonight involved her being dressed up in a costume so she had a mask on anyway so the nastiest scabs on her forehead were hidden, so could only see the scabs on her lower arms and neck and a cpl on her lower face. They ARE clearly scabbed over.

Poor thing has a nasty scab on the end of her nose even! Am hoping that one is ok, I keep having to remind her to not rub at it at all.

pklme Wed 28-Dec-16 22:07:03

Keep the scabs soft. Scarring comes when the scab gets pulled off. If it's soft it doesn't catch on things or itch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now