Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Constipation

(6 Posts)
Bobbybobbins Tue 27-Dec-16 19:53:23

Looking for some advice - my 14 month old son is constipated. It is the first time. In the past 3/4 days he has only passed small very hard poos. He has done several each day but they are rock hard. We have been giving him more to drink, prunes, high fibre etc but nothing working yet.

We don't know if we need to seek medical advice or not, or what timeframe? I can't imagine them giving him medicine at his age but worried it will become more and more compacted.

Thanks

Crumbs1 Tue 27-Dec-16 19:59:48

High fibre can cause constipation in children. Stop giving any high fibre cereal type things like muesli. Satsuma are good, sweet corn is good, prunes are good. It might be that he needs a little lactulose for a few days to sort him out because childhood constipation can become cyclical.

IwillrunIwillfly Tue 27-Dec-16 20:00:24

I would say its worth getting him seen. He may need medicine like lactulose to soften the poo or something like movicol which would help if he was backed up with poo. I wouldnt ignore it as you don't want to start him associating pooing with pain and then holding it in which can make the problem worse.

In the mean time keep encouraging him to drink as much as you can get into him and fruits are good too. Fiber is important to help prevent constipation but once you are constipated it doesnt really help as it just adds to the back log.

Bobbybobbins Tue 27-Dec-16 20:07:25

Thanks so much for the advice. Will give the GP a ring tomorrow. There must definitely be a backlog by now. Poor little man.

Blossomdeary Tue 27-Dec-16 20:16:19

WE used to give little ones sugar solution in this situation - it is basically lactulose. I know that sugar is a no-no nowadays, but it really does work.

Bobbybobbins Wed 28-Dec-16 10:38:00

He is on Movicol now so thanks again for the advice. Hopefully will kick in soon xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now