Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What should I do next time (croup)?

(3 Posts)
elliejjtiny Mon 26-Dec-16 21:11:40

Thought I'd ask now, because in an emergency I tend to dither and panic and end up doing the wrong thing.

DS5 is 2.5 years old. Just before he gets a cold he always has a night of sealion like coughing (croup, I think) and struggling to breathe. I usually sit in the bathroom with him with the shower going which helps a bit. It's hard to describe but his nose looks all squeezed like he's got an invisible peg on it when he breathes in and I can feel his pulse going really fast and more obvious than normal if that makes sense so I can feel it easily while just cuddling him without having to look for it. I end up sitting up all night with him in the steam. I think to myself I'll phone the GP in the morning but he's always fine then, with just the beginnings of a cold.

Am I doing the right thing, just sitting in the steam until it passes? Or should I be taking him to a and e? I'm limited as to what I can do easily as I don't drive and have 4 other children at home (aged between 3 and 10). I have a DH but he takes sleeping pills so he's no use after 9pm. I can phone PIL and they will take me to a and e but they live 30 mins drive away so it's only for proper emergencies not daft overprotective mother moments.

Just to be clear, none of this is happening now. But I'm thinking it would be a good idea to have a clear plan in my mind so that if he gets like that again then I know what to do.

hanban89 Mon 26-Dec-16 21:32:50

My DD1 has had it a few times and steam, or just wrapping a blanket round them and going outside is good. My friends DS had had it very bad a few times and it comes in very quick where she has had to get an ambulance as he struggles to breath.
So I wouldn't worry if you feel like he needs A&E, kids struggling to breath is what it is there to help with. Also phone 111 and they will assess and advise. Aparantly after the age of 3 it is meant to get a lot better so hopefully this happens for you.

Starsandcars9 Mon 26-Dec-16 22:26:33

Cold air is much better than hot steam for croup as croup is inflammation of the voice box and if you think about it cold much better for inflammation than heat. My eldest has had croup a lot and we've found best to open windows, turn off radiator in her room and give her loads of extra bedding. Alternatively you can drive around in car with loads of blankets and windows open. If he's managing albeit struggling a bit thrn you don't need to do anything else other than try and manage it through night. Croup will always be better in day and usually progresses into a cold.
If you think he's struggling too much or it's keeping you all from resting then go straight to out of hours dr or local a and e to get a dose of the steroid. One dose usually lasts a few days and makes them much more comfortable. Try and get to out of hours or a and e. 111 will tell u where out of hours are and get u an app. If his heart rate is raised then he's def struggling.
Has he always had this? Seems odd to have it at 2.5 unless he's had since much younger. And is it every cold or just some? Does he also get stridor (high pitched sounds on every breath usually on inhale?).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now