Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

11 month old projectile vomited. Any advice for the rest of the night?

(10 Posts)
Coldhandscoldheart Thu 22-Dec-16 21:26:30

As the title really. She's had another little puke, but has settled back down & is dozing on me.
She doesn't have a temp.
I've covered as much as I can of the bed in towels.
She's had a couple of little drinks of water.
No nursery tomorrow obv.
Any other advice?
Who knew a tiny tummy could hold so much? confused

geekaMaxima Thu 22-Dec-16 21:29:54

Is she breastfed? If so, feed her any time she's whiling for hydration and comfort.

Otherwise sips of water to keep her hydrated.

Even if she sicks it up again quite quickly, some will be absorbed, so worth it. Hope she's feeling better soon. flowers

geekaMaxima Thu 22-Dec-16 21:30:16

*willing!

glitterandtinsel Thu 22-Dec-16 21:35:02

Have fresh bedding and sleep clothes ready. Have a bowl in the room to catch any vom that comes out when you're there. Dh cleans the child and I clean/change the bedding. Less shivering and crying from sad dc. Small drinks of water.

bastedyoungturkey Thu 22-Dec-16 21:35:46

Yep, sips of water, plenty of old towels. Not much else to suggest. Hopefully she should be empty soon and the bile is easier to deal with. Vile but true.

SwearyManger Thu 22-Dec-16 21:37:48

My GP recommended this:

First only water until she has kept water down for a couple of hours
Then baby rice with a little bit of sugar (honey if > 12 months). If she is sick again, go back to the water (and the 2 hour wait)
If she keeps baby rice down for two hours, then add some mashed banana to it.

Then stick to the BRAT foods for a couple of days (banana, rice, apple sauce and toast)

Avoid cows milk as this can be hard on the stomach.

I always just used to sit up with them until they had stopped being sick.

Solasum Thu 22-Dec-16 21:39:45

Have a small towel on hand that you can whisk over her clothes before she is sick if she looks/sounds like she is going to be sick again. DS is a bit older (rising 3) but he gets very upset when he gets 'dirty', and this usually means no need to change him at least.

Bowl of bicarbonate of soda to get rid of any smell, or pour it on any sicked-on carpets.

Hope your night is not too bad

Coldhandscoldheart Thu 22-Dec-16 21:46:31

Thank you all, that's helped me marshall my thoughts a bit. I almost think that that must be it, because how could there be any more, but foresee a long night all the same.
Team work with dh a good idea.
We already have a sicked on carpet.
Formula fed just now. Do I give her formula? Or when do I, or stick with water overnight?

geekaMaxima Thu 22-Dec-16 22:00:11

Stick with water overnight - formula can be hard on an upset stomach (as is regular cow's milk).

You could also give her rehydration drink like dioralyte if you have some handy, but if not then water is fine.

Coldhandscoldheart Fri 23-Dec-16 19:53:44

Thank you so much. Vomiting stopped early morning, I managed to go to work leaving grumpy baby with dh.
Baby is now in bed, still a bit grumpy but I hope the morning will be better after an early night. Dear god so much vomit...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now