Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Encouraging walking after a burn

(11 Posts)
Soscared100 Thu 22-Dec-16 13:48:04

My daughter burnt her foot over the weekend and although she isn't complaining of pain now in general, she won't put it down or walk on it at all.
I'm not sure if it's a mental block or whether it's likely to still be sore but the doctors did make a point of saying she had to walk on it otherwise it can cause more problems - not to the burn itself but in terms of her foot freezing up and being painful etc
Has anyone else been through this who can tell me the best way to get her up on it?

Camelsinthegobi Sat 24-Dec-16 05:23:26

How old is she? Mine will do anything for chocolate - bribery?

Nottalotta Sat 24-Dec-16 06:01:09

I suffered quite severe scalding to my legs and feet when I was 3.5. I was made to walk to thetoiket and back while in hospital, it was incredibly painful! But, I clearly remember not wanting to wee myself.

How old is she? If she's not complaining of pain I'd say she nerds to just get on with it - it really does make a huge difference. I have no lasting effects from my burns.

Soscared100 Sat 24-Dec-16 09:26:54

6. She just refuses no matter what we try and use 😢
She has taken to crawling to get around now

rubberballcomebouncingbacktome Sat 24-Dec-16 12:24:46

I think she needs to be seen again, have you had a follow up appointment since the first time the burn was seen? For a dressing change or do you have one booked?

Soscared100 Sat 24-Dec-16 13:02:00

Oh yeah we've been back and back again next week, all healing very well and nurse was quite insistent that whilst it's probably still tender it wouldn't be terribly painful by this point so is more in her mind and not wanting to walk on it than not being able. Personally I think as the bandage has been put on so thickly it probably feels very odd to her to walk on so don't think that's helping but no way around that. We are doing all the exercises but just won't stand or walk on it at all.

rubberballcomebouncingbacktome Sat 24-Dec-16 15:12:43

Poor girl: as she has been seen and is still having medical attention for it (as in you can tell them if she is not walking next time) I would go with it for a short while and just give the walking/non-walking no attention (hard to do) but try and ignore it. Was the way she got a burn dramatic, do you think she wants a bit more TLC (attention in the nicest way?)

I would get her to talk about what happened and kind of give her permission to walk when she is ready so give her a blanket on the sofa and talk about what happened then say, the doctors said from about 4pm today you can walk when you are ready to do so & then give it no attention when she does or if she doesn't & if it continues after the excitement of Christmas then mention it again.

Soscared100 Sun 25-Dec-16 11:42:17

Yes I will mention again when we are back and see what they advise as would like to avoid her having to have physio if possible but currently nothing I do is sparking her to walk 😢

rubberballcomebouncingbacktome Sun 25-Dec-16 15:55:17

Sorry to hear that, I hoped today may be the day (with all the distractions).

Was it quite a dramatic incident that caused the burn?

Soscared100 Sun 25-Dec-16 19:18:15

She stood on a hob 😢 It was off by about 10 minutes but still hot enough to burn her foot
She will place it on the floor today but she just won't bear any weight on it at all

Soscared100 Sun 25-Dec-16 19:20:04

She has been getting complete attention since it happened and I've carried her everywhere
Burns unit said this wasn't helpful and to stop giving so much attention and let her crawl around if she won't walk but don't carry her but that tactic hasn't worked as she would rather crawl than even attempt to walk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now