Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any dentists around please?

(10 Posts)
EmLH Wed 21-Dec-16 19:15:46

Hi, am posting for a bit of reassurance following my visit to the dentist with DD (7) today. She had developed an abscess in the gum above where one of her teeth is coming through at the back, so I took her in to have it checked. The dentist agreed it was an abscess and sliced into it so that it would drain. Bit tmi but it was filled with white/cream pus which he thought he managed to get out. He then said that he was going to prescribe antibiotics but I wasn't too keen on this as DD seems to react quite badly and always gets a bad stomach no matter what type is prescribed. I don't really want to ruin Christmas and he seemed to want to prescribe them on a precautionary basis rather than an actual need. As the abscess wasn't hurting DD and wasn't looking particularly angry before he burst it I am not sure that it is a particularly bad infection. I asked if we could hold off on the antibiotics for a couple of days and do salt water gargles in the meantime to try and prevent any further infection. He agreed and we have booked an appointment for Friday to see where we are at.

So, I suppose what I am really asking is have I been unreasonable for refusing antibiotics? I don't like to take them unnecessarily and I have read previously that they aren't very effective as a dental treatment anyway. The abscess looks as if it is in the gum above the tooth that is growing through rather than connected to the actual tooth. I have attached a pic of the gum post drainage for reference and would be grateful for any advice. TIA

EmLH Wed 21-Dec-16 19:20:16

@Mrsmorton

Mrsmorton Wed 21-Dec-16 19:48:40

I don't think you're unreasonable at all. It's the draining that will have made the difference rather than her taking medication. Did he give you any advice about about cleaning under that gum flap? What she's got is sort of like what happens when a wisdom tooth is erupting the flap is called an operculum and will allow bacteria to get trapped and do their thing.

It should all be fine.

Mrsmorton Wed 21-Dec-16 19:49:00

Ps. The @ thing works wink

EmLH Wed 21-Dec-16 19:57:52

Brilliant, I'm glad it worked! Nope, no advice about cleaning under the flappy bit, would I do that with a normal brush or do I need a special tool?

I feel paranoid about her eating now as don't want any bacteria anywhere near it so I just said to swill with normal water after eating as well. He frightened her as he said that it might swell up under her jaw and along her cheek and if it gets really bad could stop her breathing! I think he was just saying worse case scenario and not to ignore it if it gets worse but she was petrified and promptly burst into tears! Hyped it up much more than I thought was necessary as to me it didn't look that much of a big deal. Appreciate I'm not qualified though hence my post on here! We have found that holding the salt water on top of it is easier for her than swooshing it about and means she can keep it in her mouth for longer, do you think this is okay?

Thanks so much for replying, I really appreciate it smile

Mrsmorton Wed 21-Dec-16 20:08:02

Hot salt water is very good for this sort of thing. You can buy single tufted brushes which are really helpful but you should be able to wiggle part of a normal toothbrush head under there. You just need to disturb the area as it stops the bacteria getting such a hold. Don't be paranoid about bacteria though they are perfectly normal in the mouth. It's just in the nooks and crannies they can cause these issues if left Undisturbed.

EmLH Wed 21-Dec-16 20:22:30

Ah okay, I shall be resuming control over the brushing then. She's wanted to do it herself the last few weeks as she's becoming more independent (was only 7 last month!) Now I feel awful for not checking she's been brushing properly! We just did hot salt water as the last one before bed. Fingers crossed it works..!

Olympiathequeen Mon 26-Dec-16 10:50:34

If the dentist agreed with you then it was just precautionary. Totally agree abx are over prescribed but you do need to be careful and ask why they are being prescribed.

Heatherjayne1972 Mon 26-Dec-16 16:00:31

You can buy something called an interspace brush usually used for cleaning orthodontic appliances
It's a tiny brush head with quite stiff bristles and I'd get you to use that under the flap - if not use the tiniest child's brush you can find
Hot salty water is best. You could use a rinse called corsodyl daily it's tastes horrid and can stain teeth but may be useful

Heatherjayne1972 Mon 26-Dec-16 16:02:55

I see I've suggested the same thing as Mrs Morton
Single tufted brush is also called interdental brush or interspace brush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now