Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Worried. Please help!

(13 Posts)
user1482334903 Wed 21-Dec-16 16:01:59

Hi all,

My name is Steph.

I am new to this site and really hoping some of you can give me some reassurance. Thank you all in advance.

I will start from the beginning (apologies for the slightly long post).

About a week ago I noticed a bruise on my three year old daughter's lower abdomen. When I felt it it was a little raised around the area. My daughter told me that another child had poked her at school although I am inclined to believe that she perhaps walked into a corner of a table.

Anyway, a week later and the area is still slightly swollen even though the bruise had disappeared.

Worrying that this was something other than a minor injury, I took her to the GP this week who agreed that it was a slight swelling but certainly not anything serious. They advised me to keep an eye on it and if it hadn't gone within 6 weeks to go back - just for my my peace of mind.

I took her again the day after to see the GP partner as I still wasn't totally reassured and the GP examined her thoroughly and said she couldn't feel any abnormality at all and that she was 100 percent certain that there was no lump/ growth etc.

I am a very anxious person. I am wondering if any of your children have had swellings after minor injuries that took a while to go? I know it can happen with head bumps, but I would be interested to know if anyone has experienced anything similar?

I am so worried and can't think of anything else.

I appreciate your help and time.

Thanks,

Steph.

Muppetslikecoco Wed 21-Dec-16 16:12:36

Welcome to mumsnet smile

Do you suffer from anxiety at all? I don't think it's unusual for a bruise to last over a week. Honestly if you've had two medical opinions I'd put it out of your mind for at least another week.

user1482334903 Wed 21-Dec-16 17:00:12

Thank you.

Yes I do suffer from anxiety, especially health anxiety.

The bruise has gone but it is the lump/ swelling I am concerned about. The first two doctors I seen said they could feel slight swelling which may have been to do with the injury or may be just how she is (it is only slightly assymetrical
The second doctor I seen yesterday (who is the GP partner and knows how anxious I get) told me she couldn't feel anything abnormal at all and checked her other glands etc. told me in her words "100 percent certain" there is no lump/growth etc.

I am panicking be user she didn't seen to acknowledge the swelling at all (which is there).i am wondering if she missed something.

I am hoping it is me once again overreacting (which my husband and the rest of my family are telling me it is).

Muppetslikecoco Wed 21-Dec-16 17:09:23

I know exactly where you're coming from worrying that the dr had missed something. I had this my whole pregnancy, I would walk out of the dr after they reassured me again and think oh, but I forgot to mention... and convince myself that this detail would change everything.

I really do think it is your anxiety talking. Are you receiving any help for that? It can be incredibly difficult to cope with.

user1482334903 Wed 21-Dec-16 17:42:36

Yes I am exactly the same as you are describing. The GP felt her everywhere but because she said she couldn't feel anything and didn't acknowledge the swelling like the previous doctors, I am now worried she missed it.

My friends and husband said that the doctor wouldn't have needed to acknowledge the swelling as the previous doctors had. I am analysing everything.

SnorkelParka Wed 21-Dec-16 17:45:32

Your child is at risk - but not from the swelling - from developing an anxiety disorder or behavioural issues when she picks up on your health anxiety. You need to get this sorted.

In the meantime, I recommend finding a sensible non anxious adult in your life to make any health based decisions for your child. You should step away from issues like this as much is as practicable for a parent. If the sensible second opinion person says 'no it does not need medical attention', then it doesn't. I know you will be terrified of 'missing something' but you are ignoring the risk of anxiety - believe me, I have seen lots of children majorly affected by stuff like this. And don't keep checking, you will be alarming your child and making the area sensitive. Sorry if harsh, but I care about the outcome for your dd.

Supermagicsmile Wed 21-Dec-16 17:51:13

Please don't worry. Same thing happened to my ds after he hurt himself in a similar injury at school. The swelling under the bruise became s firm lump which worried me greatly but the doctor said it was nothing to worry about and it disappeared within about 3/4 weeks. smile

user1482334903 Wed 21-Dec-16 22:06:18

Hi all,

Thank you for your messages. Glad your child is ok now. I guess I was just seeking reassurance from others who have experienced similar things. I appreciate your comments.

I don't show any anxiety in front of my daughter but I understand where you are coming from. I always make sure she is in a calm and relaxed environment (no matter how bad my anxiety may be!). I am an externally calm person - but I do tend to worry quite a lot over any health related problems.

Anyway, thank you very much for all of your comments. Wishing you all a merry Christmas xx

HeCantBeSerious Wed 21-Dec-16 22:20:24

I don't show any anxiety in front of my daughter

But she was taken to 2 doctors who examined her abdomen in 2 days. And presumably you're checking it all the time as well.

TheoriginalLEM Wed 21-Dec-16 22:27:15

Are you getting any help for your anxiety? There is help available. That may take the form of medication. It has really helped me. Looking back over the years I can see that my health anxiety resulted in my pushing my DD1 away as I was scared of getting too close. It has seriously damaged our adult relationship, she must have thought I didn't love her. Do get help for this, you don't have to suffer through it, you can get help. I am still anxious but medication keeps me calm (er)

user1482334903 Wed 21-Dec-16 22:40:26

Yes I can see how it may seem but I simply wanted to seek a second opinion. Googling things made my anxiety worse. I need to stop that! It can be a dangerous territory when it comes to googling health issues as you all probably know.

I have had help with my anxiety in the past, but generally I have it under control. I recognise that I have worried too much over the past few days. I do feel a lot more reassured and relaxed this evening.

I have a wonderful and very close relationship with my little girl. I lost my mother to cancer at a young age which explains my tendency to worry a lot. But like I said, I do not let this come to the surface in front of her.

Thanks again

Muppetslikecoco Thu 22-Dec-16 08:07:28

I'm glad you're feeling reassured OP. If you do feel that your anxiety is getting out of hand then don't be afraid to seek help again. The mental health boards on here are very supportive and understanding.

PotteringAlong Thu 22-Dec-16 08:18:09

But like I said, I do not let this come to the surface in front of her.

But taking her to the dr's repeatedly and prodding it all the time IS letting it come to the surface in front of her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now