Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Discharge from toddlers ear?

(10 Posts)
Nikki2ol6 Tue 20-Dec-16 11:37:36

My toddler has been crying a lot the last week and we have been giving calpol assuming he was teething as there was no temperature and no signs of an illness and the calpol helped so we just assumed teething. Iv just noticed a discharge from the ear it's yellow/cream coloured with a small amount of blood mixed in. Does he need to see a dr?

dementedpixie Tue 20-Dec-16 11:38:26

Sounds like his eardrum has burst. I would see a gp in case he needs antibiotics

bastedyoungturkey Tue 20-Dec-16 11:38:30

I'd say so, yes.

Gardencentregroupie Tue 20-Dec-16 11:38:59

YES!!! Sounds like an infected perforated eardrum, poor child likely needs ABs and is probably in agony.

TheMasterMurderedMargarita Tue 20-Dec-16 11:40:07

Yes, DD used to have this. If it's pus it's an infection and needs antibiotics.
I was surprised because I thought they were loath to give them for ear infections anymore but she had it a few times.
Is the ear red or hot?

Nikki2ol6 Tue 20-Dec-16 11:40:59

No his ear looks fine and he doesn't Seam in pain today he actually seams a lot happier

MidsummersNight Tue 20-Dec-16 11:41:11

This just happened to my DD.
She's on Erythromycin and seems to be all better now.

FrancesHaHa Tue 20-Dec-16 11:41:28

Yes. My DD used to get this as a toddler. He'll probably need anti biotics.
It's fairly common in toddlers for liquid to build up in the ear creating pressure until the ear drum bursts.

FrancesHaHa Tue 20-Dec-16 11:42:24

He'll be happier now the eardrum is burst (assuming that's what's happened) but will likely need antibiotics to clear up the infection.

Nikki2ol6 Tue 20-Dec-16 11:49:20

Ok thank you everyone I shall call my gp practice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now