Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Coughing til he's sick

(14 Posts)
muminmanchester Tue 20-Dec-16 09:42:28

My son is 12 months and has a really bad hacking and wet cough since Saturday. On Sunday night he coughed so much he made himself really sick and did the same last night and this morning. He's not sleeping well as he's coughing so much in the night. He's also off his food and is just picking at things.

Temperature is 37.8. He's not got diarrhoea so I don't think it's a bug. He's definitely getting dehydrated though, wet nappies are much less frequent and a yellow straw colour.

He's just lain down on the living room floor and fallen asleep - this from a boy who has never napped anywhere except for his pram and screams the house down whenever i try him in his cot in the day. He must be exhausted.

Went to the pharmacist yesterday who said there's not really anything I can do, no wet cough medicines are suitable for his age. Would you go to the doctors with this? Or is it a pointless visit as the pharmacist has said there's nothing for it?

LIZS Tue 20-Dec-16 09:46:15

See your gp, especially if he's wheezy with the cough. Could be bronchiolitis.

Nikki2ol6 Tue 20-Dec-16 12:52:15

Is he having a coughing fit where he coughs out all of his breath and turns purple?

Blinkyblink Tue 20-Dec-16 12:54:02

Ok I talk from a lot of experience. Won't go on to details.

He has a bacterial chest infection and needs antibiotics pronto.

Get a GP app TODAY and get that first dose in him ASAP

YokoUhOh Tue 20-Dec-16 12:57:22

Took DS2 (7 months) to GP with this yesterday. She sent him to A&E in an ambulance - it's bronciolitis. Luckily he was able to come home after getting checked out.

In the meantime, give him small feeds/fluids regularly so that he's not getting dehydrated. Hope he's on the mend soon.

glitterandtinsel Tue 20-Dec-16 12:57:25

Ds1 was like this until he was 4. It could be bronchitis or asthma. Best to get it checked out. He had asthma and if it's chronic it can produce a wet cough. Ds1 did. We had to buy a carpet shampooer as he coughed and puked so much.

YokoUhOh Tue 20-Dec-16 12:58:45

Also, while you're waitibg to see GP, try him with an ice lolly to get fluids into him.

iamaswashbuckler Tue 20-Dec-16 13:23:15

Yep my son also had this, would cough until he puked! He has asthma medication now and it sorted it out. Hope you manage to get it sorted, the lack of sleep is a killer...

BarbarianMum Tue 20-Dec-16 13:47:30

Some kids do cough until they're sick but in your situation is want a doctor to listen to his chest.

lornathewizzard Tue 20-Dec-16 13:59:30

I've just taken my 2 to the docs this morning due to cough not going away, luckily nothing in chest so just to let it run its course. However, it put my mind at ease. I would take him.

BatFacedGirl Tue 20-Dec-16 16:11:20

Blinky

What on earth makes you speak so such authority? Can you see through your screen and make a diagnosis or something? You've no bloody idea what's wrong with the child, regardless of your 'experience.'

Sounds like a virus OP. Why not call the doctor and explain the symptoms? See what he or she says.

muminmanchester Tue 20-Dec-16 16:36:22

Ok thank you - have a doctors appointment booked for the morning so hopefully he will be on the mend soon.

muminmanchester Wed 21-Dec-16 14:51:15

Just an update - he does have a chest infection and is now on antibiotics so thank you all for saving me from a miserable Christmas by convincing me to go to the doctors! X

Blinkyblink Wed 21-Dec-16 21:59:42

Alright BatFace! (Especially as I er turned out to be correct).

OP, I'm so pleased you went. As I say, I won't go in to details (suffice to say my 3 yr old dd has had 13 chest infections and spent 9 nights on hospital as a result of one getting out of control).

You'll notice a difference within 48nhoirs. You did the right thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now