Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help! Chickenpox may ruin Christmas

(11 Posts)
Areyoufree Sun 18-Dec-16 08:23:33

My two year old has just had what we think is chickenpox. Couldn't get a doctor appointment to check, as they had none on the day. His spots are all scabby and healing nicely, so that's all good. However, I also have a 5 year old who I don't think has ever had it, and we were due to go to my sister's for Christmas. She is over 20 weeks pregnant, and has never had chickenpox. My 5 year old shows no symptoms, but I have read that the virus can take up to 3 weeks to show. Any advice? Do we just cancel Christmas? Can we get her checked for the virus now? The kids are going to be devastated if we cancel everything (and so am i).

TheDisreputableDog Sun 18-Dec-16 08:28:59

NHS Guide here.
Suggest your sister needs to discuss risks with her GP/Midwife and go from there

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 18-Dec-16 08:38:10

Yep, send sister to Midwife or GP. They may immunise her.

Skatingonthinice16 Sun 18-Dec-16 09:26:53

They won't immunise whilst she is pregnant because it is a live vaccine.
If she had definite contact with the virus they would give her immunoglobulin which gives temporary immunity or lessons symptoms if caught but it has to be given very quickly after the exposure else it is useless.
Your sister could have a blood test to see if she is immune as 90% of adults who think they've never had chicken pox have but very mildly. Then if she is immune you could still go.

If she's not immune there is NO WAY you can go, I'm sorry about that. I wasn't immune when I was pregnant and there was a suspected case of it in the school where I work. I hadn't even had close contact but they were all set to sign me off and give me immunoglobulin. Fortunately it turned out it was just a viral rash and not chicken pox. I've since been vaccinated but they definitely will not do it whilst your sister is pregnant.

Although it is at a less risky time for her to catch chicken pox now at 20 weeks it would still possibly make her very ill and there is still a low risk to the baby. Personally I couldn't take that risk.

So best course of action if a blood test ASAP to check her immunity.

Hedgehog80 Sun 18-Dec-16 09:29:18

Very important to get your dsis to seek advice from her midwife or doctor. Chickenpox can be serious in pregnancy
I never shook off the guilt of taking dd to the antenatal clinic with me when she had it (we were there for three and a half hours) and I felt terrible thinking she could ha e infected someone

876TaylorMade Sun 18-Dec-16 09:43:01

Was she not checked at first blood tests?

Usually they check for everything then.

I am not immune and have been advised I can only be vaccinated after I have the baby. I'm currently 25 weeks along.

Areyoufree Sun 18-Dec-16 10:22:21

She was tested for the immunity and definitely didn't have it. Damn it! Anyone know if we got my daughter vaccinated it would stop her coming down with it and becoming contagious? Will obviously phone round on Monday, but was just wondering if anyone here knew about that?

Skatingonthinice16 Sun 18-Dec-16 11:13:48

Vaccine has to be given within 72 hours of exposure and even then may only reduce symptoms rather than prevent it altogether.

Areyoufree Sun 18-Dec-16 11:15:02

Thanks Skating - I suspected as much, but just trying every possible avenue!

Skatingonthinice16 Sun 18-Dec-16 11:24:25

I know quite a bit about it because I worried about it when pregnant!

Peak time to develop it is day 14 from exposure but yes it can be up to 21 days and unfortunately it's highly contagious and airborne before the spots come out...

Shootingstar2289 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:15:46

Spots do take a while to show up. You're also contagious before the spots show up - that's why it spreads so easily.

My son had them and exactly two weeks after my sons first spot, my daughter had her first spot.

Hope it all works out for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now