Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Loads of mouth ulcers in 16 year old

(11 Posts)
Realitea Sat 17-Dec-16 13:06:56

Ds has had problems with ulcers since I can remember. It's really getting to him now though as they're so painful. He has been told he has low iron levels in the past and I suspect he seriously needs some vitamins. Can anyone suggest what to get him? I'm thinking a multivitamin with iron but I know too much iron can also be dangerous.

sprinklesofweirdness Sat 17-Dec-16 13:14:54

DD is also having this problem, ask the doctor to prescribe you iron tablets, don't take it into your own hands, could be very dangerous. Also she's currently getting tested for celiac disease which I suggest you should do too.

Hopefully our kids will have a good clean mouth soon!

sprinklesofweirdness Sat 17-Dec-16 13:15:42

They might put it off too hormones but she started her period at 9 [TMI] so very unlikely

Realitea Sat 17-Dec-16 13:16:04

Thank you, I'll take him on Monday.

oldbirdy Sat 17-Dec-16 19:11:30

Just an FYI - my Dsis had repeated mouth ulcers and anaemia as her first symptoms of coeliac (gluten intolerance) as sprinkles has mentioned. Definitely ask for a test.

RoseDog Sat 17-Dec-16 19:15:36

Try toothpastes with no sodium lauryl sulphates (SLS) it has made such a difference to my mouth ulcers, I know only get a couple of smalls ones when run down instead of having a mouth full of them.

gail734 Sat 17-Dec-16 19:39:08

I second RoseDog's advice. Jumping to the conclusion of coeliac is a huge leap. I had a boyfriend who was really suffering with mouth ulcers. On an American dentists' website I saw someone connect it to Sodium Laureth Sulphate in toothpaste. SLS is a foaming agent - it's in washing up liquid and washing powder. It kills the natural flora of your mouth. More expensive toothpastes don't have it - Rembrandt, Ultradex. You can get them in Boots. My boyfriend never got another mouth ulcer until he dumped me and went back to Colgate. He had to phone me from Australia to sheepishly ask me what it was he was "allergic to". fgrin

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 18-Dec-16 19:23:29

All three things mentioned above impact me. Gluten is a trigger, watching my iron levels is important and I use Weleda Salt toothpaste. If any one of these is ignored, I get mouth ulcers...

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 18-Dec-16 19:25:38

I use spatone for iron as I can't tolerate anything else.

SnorkelParka Sun 18-Dec-16 19:27:24

Found out yoghurt triggered mine.

You can get Spatone iron supplement - it is like metallic tasting water that you can add to an orange juice every morning. Its gentle and doesn't cause constipation like iron tablets. But I would still see the GP again for a stronger option.

We take vitamin B12 and vitamin D as well.

poochiepants Sun 18-Dec-16 19:29:55

I get mouth ulcers when I've been overly stressed, and as soon as I start to relax they flare up (roll on the Christmas holiday, eh, not!). Only thing I've found that helps is Boots Expert mouthwash. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now