Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

5 month old viral throat infection - help!

(7 Posts)
Busy77 Thu 15-Dec-16 21:02:16

He has had a medium fever for over 3 days, can't sleep for longer than 30 minutes and then screams for hours. Am alternating calpol and ibuprofen every 3 hours but NOTHING makes him comfortable. Doc says wait it out but does anyone have any suggestions on how to make him more comfortable. He is really off his milk too and keeps rejecting the dummy. Will try ANYTHING!!!!! We haven't slept in days.....

hanban89 Thu 15-Dec-16 22:23:15

When did you see the GP? It's tough as there's nothing much you can give them at that age. I would be going back to GP though if you haven't seen any improvement soon.

Haggisfish Thu 15-Dec-16 22:29:39

Can you cool some milk and see if that helps? Either breast or formula.

Haggisfish Thu 15-Dec-16 22:30:58

Do be careful you only give four doses of paracetamol in a 24 hour period. And ibuprofen used to irritate dc tummy and throat-just a thought? Sorry, don't mean to sound daft!

shewolfmum Thu 15-Dec-16 23:32:44

Are you bfeeding? Take vit c if you are?

IwillrunIwillfly Fri 16-Dec-16 00:21:56

Difflam spray might help his throat. You can buy it over the counter but for his age it would need to be prescribed.

Busy77 Sat 17-Dec-16 21:36:49

Thank you all so much!! He's on formula now and beginning to improve. I think you are right about the ibuprofen, it works but I think hurts his stomach too- also definitely not overdosing on either, strictly sticking to recommended amounts. Hoping tonight will be the night we get some sleep! I am seeing doc again on Monday for different child so can ask again if he's still bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now