Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tiptoes still

(12 Posts)
OnlyAFoolsChance Sat 10-Dec-16 17:24:12

My youngest has walked on her tiptoes for a long time now, since she was a tot.

I thought she would grow out of it but now watching her more, she still does it. So when I ask she says if she walks flat footed, she is more wobbly and also her heels hurt? Sometimes up to her calf.

Does anybody have any experience of this. I'll totally agree with her on the wobbly front, shes got more balance and confidence on her tiptoes. Just wondering if I'd be taken on if I consulted a doc about it. I don't want to ignore too long incase her muscles/tendons are an issue. (btw she's 7 now)

Just for reference, she's got no extra needs, is doing well in all other senses and the only other thing worth/not worth mentioning is she was cows milk protein intolerant up until she was in nursery, and then weaned gradually onto milk products with only a few minor setbacks.

Heratnumber7 Sat 10-Dec-16 17:25:10

This is a medical condition. I can't remember what it's called, but you should consult your GP.

OnlyAFoolsChance Mon 12-Dec-16 14:00:48

I've requested an appointment, luckily we have an online request system with our GP so you can explain what the issue is and they prioritise the appointments needed.

A few other people on my Facebook said there are links to dyspraxia and other developmental delays but I'm not veering in that direction as we literally have NO other worries about her, hence why I've never chased it up as she is where she should be in all aspects so we never worry about her.

Hopefully GP can steer us right.

DatsunCogs Mon 12-Dec-16 14:14:51

Do update us OP, my 7 year old is similar, what were her feet like at birth? My DD has always done this too, but can run fairly fast so I've put it to one side, interested to see what your GP says.

atticusclaw2 Mon 12-Dec-16 14:18:26

I walked on tiptoes until I was about 14. I then progressed to high heels...

I don't do it anymore. I'm not sure why.

OnlyAFoolsChance Mon 12-Dec-16 14:53:44

Her feet were normal at birth, and yes she can also run fairly fast too, much quicker than her peers. She has more balance on her tiptoes than flat footed.

I'm just concerned as she says its because her heels hurt and pointed to the ball of her heel, the ankle and further up toward her calf and said if she walks flat too long they are really sore.

I've got an appointment on Weds so will definitely update.

atticusclaw2 Mon 12-Dec-16 14:54:51

Her hamstrings wil be being stretched when she walks flat footed and so it will hurt her.

wifeofdoom Mon 12-Dec-16 14:57:19

My dd had this - was referred to Physio age 5. They found she had tight calf muscles, tried stretches etc but didn't help much. They then put her in night splints for 6 months which made a massive lasting difference. Good luck!

5moreminutes Mon 12-Dec-16 15:04:22

I did this right through my childhood and into my teens - my parents are both medical doctors and either never noticed or thought nothing of it - I never thought to ask them about it shock I also used to win the 100 Meyers reliably at primary (no stamina though so only the 100 meters grin ).

I got mildly teased (ribbed I guess, never nastily) for it on and off from about age 7 to age 17 and have always had oddly muscular calves but not aware of any other I'll effects. I have no idea when I stopped doing it probably when I got too fat to walk on my toes all the time

None of my kids walk oddly... Probably not that helpful but it never seemed to matter... I did well academically and am not dispraxic.

Heratnumber7 Mon 12-Dec-16 17:49:28

embarrassingbodieskids.channel4.com/conditions/tip-toe-walking/

OnlyAFoolsChance Fri 16-Dec-16 17:45:10

Update as promised!

We saw a LOVELY GP on Weds, he came out and watched her walk down the corridor to get a good idea of her walking, but because she knew he was watching her, she walked ever so slowly and flat footed.

Anyway, he watched her walk a few times, chatted to her about where her feet/legs hurt and then removed shoes and socks and had her walk around the room. She was slow and trying to walk flat footed and the GP made a comment of how he reminded her of those tests the American cops get drunk drivers to do lol. Walking along arms out to balance, going nice and slow in a straight line :D
so we encouraged her to just speed up and she naturally went back to tiptoeing.

He checked her gait and said it looks not too bad, but as he is limited in the time he can spend assessing, and as he is not AS good as someone who does this day in day out, he felt better referring her to pediatrics to be assessed. He said even though she managed for him, and her gait looks not so bad, us as parents know our children best in his opinion and he wants to go with my instinct. Not very often I've heard that from a doctor!

So referral to pediatrics, and showed us some exercises to stretch her achilles tendon to try relieve any pain she might get.

OnlyAFoolsChance Fri 16-Dec-16 17:45:49

*how she reminded him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now