Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Inguinal hernia

(10 Posts)
IDontBowlOnShabbos Wed 07-Dec-16 19:49:52

Hi, does anyone have any experience with Inguinal hernias and babies?

DS (6 weeks) has had a lump protruding from his abdomen for a month which has now descended into his scrotum and is huge. Had to take him in to a and e today as he seems to be in pain and is constipated, the doctor said it's not strangulated but due to its size has booked us in for a consultation with the surgeon on Friday.

I'm really worried now about the operation and was wondering if anyone else on here has any experience in wait times for this operation and also what the recovery is like? Obviously I'll find out more on Friday but I have anxiety anyway and I can't stop worrying about it!

NotAUserNumberSoNotATroll Wed 07-Dec-16 19:55:32

My boy had bilateral, one side right into his testes the other not so bad. We were sure he was constipated but gp continually told us he wouldn't be
He had repair as a routine appointment when he was 12weeks. It was fine....really hard for us waiting but he was only in theatre just over an hour and was back to his normal self within a couple of hours. We had to stay overnight as he was so young which was tedious!
Healed really quickly without bothering him and you can barely see the scar now (just over a year ago).
Completely understand the worry but try not too - it's a very simple thing to fix smile

IDontBowlOnShabbos Wed 07-Dec-16 20:11:27

Thank you for replying NotA. I'm a worrier anyway so the thought of him having an operation is really freaking me out! Glad to hear your DS recovered quickly and the operation is simple and quick.

We had to stay in hospital after he was born due to an infection so I know what you mean about it being tedious! Our GP has been really crap about diagnosing it. I took him when I first noticed it and he said it was just his testicle without really examining him so I think that's why I'm so anxious now, I been worried for so long!

camelfinger Wed 07-Dec-16 20:16:22

Hi, my boy had this. It was quite a wait for the op - about 2 months I think. He hadn't constipation a lot too. The operation went really well, seemed to go quickly and he was then just a bit sleepy afterwards and back to normal the next day. You can't see the scar at all as his was keyhole surgery. This was about 6 months ago - have forgotten about it now, and all looks normal now (was getting very big and didn't want to be strapping him into a buggy etc). Good luck with it all, it is a routine operation so the surgeons do loads of them.

IDontBowlOnShabbos Wed 07-Dec-16 20:26:17

Thanks for replying camel I feel a lot better after these positive replies. In a way it's better if there's a bit of a wait, gives him a chance to get a bit bigger and hopefully cope with the anesthetic better. Glad to hear your son recovered well too.

autumnchat Thu 08-Dec-16 00:16:48

DS1 had this done as a baby but they did it within a couple of days of me noticing it. He was fine and you would never have known he'd had anything done an hour later!

NotAUserNumberSoNotATroll Thu 08-Dec-16 09:24:02

At our hospital you go into the anaesthetic room with them, they gave him a mask to breath in the gas and he fell asleep better than he would at home
We then left and they then put the drip needle in so he didn't know about that either
He was upset when he first woke up but did a huge burp then was fine and fed like normal

IDontBowlOnShabbos Fri 09-Dec-16 16:27:06

Thank you for putting my mind at rest everyone. I saw the surgeon today and she's going to fit him in before Christmas so at least it will be over soon.

oneplus2is3 Wed 14-Dec-16 21:24:55

My DS had this done. The op itself was very smooth and quite quick. I carried him down to theatre, they knocked him out with some gas whilst he sucked on his dummy and they kept it so when he came round his dummy was with him. Paracetamol managed pain effectively. At the time he was on home oxygen so had an overnight stay but if he hadn't it was just a day-stay procedure.

The surgeon made the incision along the natural crease in his groin so now that it has healed the scar is almost invisible. A possible risk is losing a testicle as the repair is so close to the tube (I think my DS's may have been damaged) but loads of men cope with one just fine!

He was much happier in himself after repair, less grizzly and healthier appetite. Don't worry- he'll be fine.

Saramrizkallah Wed 28-Dec-16 01:08:46

dear mums...did any of you had to repeat the surgery and how long should be the waiting time between the first and second surgery?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now