Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Has she started her periods?

(21 Posts)
shallichangemyname Mon 28-Nov-16 11:55:05

My DD is 11, in year 6 (old for the year as a September baby). She is quite immature for her age. She shows no signs of puberty - no growing breasts, no underarm/pubic hair growing. But this week she seems to have started her periods. 50p-sized patches of blood in her knickers over 3 days.
They got the puberty talk at school but I'm not sure how much it covered, she's very confused about what it is and I have tried to explain to her what it is and how it happens.
When she was much younger she used to bleed a lot when she had a poo - turned out it was an anal fissure but this was cured years ago. I've asked her if the blood definitely isn't coming from her bottom and she says it isn't.
Any thoughts appreciated - I just think it's odd that she is not showing any other signs of puberty. I realise 11 is quite a normal age, although on the young side.

PhyllisWig Mon 28-Nov-16 20:46:58

Just remembering back, I had a weird browny red pant episode when I was 10 which was indeed my first period. No real boobs or hair.

I paid it no mind until my mum did the washing and we had a little chat about it. My next period didn't start for another couple of months and in the interim the breasts and pubes appeared. Second period was a mutha!

MulberryBush12 Tue 29-Nov-16 10:01:02

I'd take her to the doctors; it could be a UTI. Is she feeling ok in herself?

shallichangemyname Tue 29-Nov-16 10:25:18

She does seem fine, bleeding stopped yesterday but went on for for 3 or 4 days before that. Phyllis I think what you describe is how mine started, but the next one didn't come for quite a few months.
I think I'll wait to see if it happens again before worrying. She's very young for her age and my youngest, so it was a bit of a shock really.

datingbarb Tue 29-Nov-16 11:00:52

Hmm in my experience both my oldest two dd first periods were actual proper periods with a lot of blood not just light spotting they were 11 (year 6) and 12 (year 8) st the time

shallichangemyname Tue 29-Nov-16 16:28:43

Would it be silly to go to the dr?

TwitterQueen1 Tue 29-Nov-16 16:31:57

11 years old isn't especially young. I think it's quite normal actually.

Why do you think she should see a doctor?

GeorgeTheThird Tue 29-Nov-16 16:34:09

I wouldn't go to the doctor - watch and wait for a few weeks first.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 29-Nov-16 16:40:27

11 isn't young for starting periods. Wait and see what happens.

BeyondTheHarpy Tue 29-Nov-16 16:42:29

Make a note of it in the calendar and wait and see. If she doesn't seem to be in pain and it's stopped now, it doesn't sound like a uti.

MulberryBush12 Tue 29-Nov-16 17:37:43

If you don't think she has a UTI; ( she doesn't seem to have any other s+s from what you describe), then just monitor as other posters have said.

I'm not sure whether periods can only occur after other secondary sexual characteristics -hair/ breasts have started to develop. Hopefully someone else will know?

BeyondTheHarpy Tue 29-Nov-16 17:41:10

I do believe it can all randomly happen in whatever order it fancies, but I don't speak from experience there.

youcantgoback Tue 29-Nov-16 17:50:39

I always thought breast buds developed first so it might be worth asking your Dr for advice? It can't do any harm to.

TheRavensFeather Tue 29-Nov-16 17:52:35

I'm quite shocked reading this. My D is almost 9 and the thought she could start her period in a few years hadn't occurred to me.
I started at 15!

dementedpixie Tue 29-Nov-16 17:55:13

Puberty normally follows stages: tanner stages if you want to look it up. My dd started hers aged 11 but had developed breasts and pubic hair beforehand

BeyondTheHarpy Tue 29-Nov-16 17:55:30

I was 10 raven, but it tends to run in the family

Skyllo30 Tue 29-Nov-16 17:56:42

Soonds like it might be periods. I had my first at 11. The first 3 were really just spotting then I had really heavy ones for 6 months! Needed to change pads hourly. Looking back it was really a lot for an 11 year old to deal with!

shallichangemyname Tue 29-Nov-16 18:56:47

The only reason I'd see the dr would be to rule something else out, but I don't think she has anything wrong with her. Just concerned to know really. She seems so young and undeveloped to me to have started. It's not overly youbg, I know. I was just shocked. I wasn't when her older sister started at 13 because we were expecting it by then.
She says 4 other girls in her class (Y6) have started their periods. That took me by surprise as well!

NetflixandBill Tue 29-Nov-16 19:58:11

11 is very common to start periods

MulberryBush12 Tue 29-Nov-16 20:07:09

Could you discuss your concerns with your GP practice nurse? I'm sure they'd be able to advise whether a GP appointment is necessary.
FWIW all the females in my immediate family were 14/15 before periods started but we all had the relevant hair ( not so much breast buds) from a very young age-8/9shock. So I suppose there is a huge variation amongst females!
11 isn't an uncommon age to start, but the total absence of any other development would puzzle me too OP.

shallichangemyname Tue 29-Nov-16 21:59:27

My practice has a triage system where a GP calls you back to see if an appointment is really necessary (they will for instance prescribe over the phone without making you go in if it is clear whats wrong). At the risk of sounding a bit foolish I think I'll call them for a quick chat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now