Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Over thinking or worth an ask?!?!

(7 Posts)
duzzlightyearsmum Sat 26-Nov-16 23:19:11

Just looking for advice on whether or not I'm over thinking things here or if it's worth speaking to my GP/HV about my DS.

DS is 4 (5 in February) and has developed normally with very good language skills from an early age. He is doing well at school and they have raised no concerns. I however have a couple of things niggling away at me.
1) he still puts lots of objects/his fingers in his mouth
2) he detests having sticky fingers and tosthis day will not eat anything with gravy on or anything with 'sauce ' in the middle such as caramel. I know I shouldn't knock him not wanting caramel but it's one example and also another worry as he seems genuinely concerned/frightened of eating it. He also hates the sensation of fizzy drinks and won't drink them even if it's all that is available.
3) he doesn't like having his hair brushed and becomes genuinely distressed at the mention of having of his nails cut.
4) he cannot ride a bike. He is very fast on his balance bike and competent on a scooter but seems entirely unable to use pedals. Originally thought this was to do with his being too small for a bike with pedals but this doesn't seem to be the case.
5) he gets tired very quickly when walking and says his feet and legs hurt after quite short period of times.
6) he has never mastered a tripod grip on his pen but is able to write without one

Am I seeing things that aren't there or do you think there may be an underlying issue here?

duzzlightyearsmum Sat 26-Nov-16 23:23:07

Sorry that turned out longer than expected

duzzlightyearsmum Sun 27-Nov-16 08:47:18

Bump

Tubbyinthehottub Sun 27-Nov-16 08:52:42

I wouldn't worry about him not being able to ride a bike, 4 is a normal age to have not yet mastered that skill.
I don't think many young kids like fizzy drinks, do they? It's a weird sensation I suppose. My 6yr old wouldn't drink one.
The other things seem to me just little quirks he will grow out of or maybe he won't but I don't think they are real issues.

Tubbyinthehottub Sun 27-Nov-16 08:54:33

I showed my DS google images of people with very very long fingernails and he soon stopped whining about having his cut!

Witchend Sun 27-Nov-16 14:02:42

I don't think anything you've posted is raising alarms that that age.
Most 4 yos can't ride bikes, not the correct pen grip is also normal.
Putting things in mouths is habit
Not liking fizzy drinks is something that I know plenty of children-one of dd2's friends (13yo) still only likes water or milk.
Not liking sticky fingers-neither do I!
Dh hates anyone touching his hair.

I don't think there's anything here to worry about.

exexpat Sun 27-Nov-16 14:17:46

A lot of those things sound pretty normal for children his age, but put together, and if they carry on beyond reception age, they could possibly be a sign of sensory processing issues or dyspraxia.

My DS was very similar, and I am pretty sure would have been diagnosed dyspraxic if we had been in the UK at the time, but we were living overseas and didn't have access to that kind of service in the early years of primary school.

He is now 18 and grew out of most of the sensory issues by the early years of secondary school (stopped chewing the sleeves of his jumpers, no longer resisted haircuts, didn't run away from loud noises etc) but his fine motor skills were still a problem for longer, in particular his handwriting, though not bad enough in the end for him to need special allowances to be made for GCSEs and so on (his year 6 SATs had to be transcribed). He eventually learnt to swim, but has never ridden a bike. Some things he still hates, like trying on new shoes.

If I was in the same position today, I would look into assessment, if it looked likely that he would be given any help - e.g. an occupational therapist to help with fine motor coordination and handwriting. His issues didn't hold him back academically in the end, but life could have been easier for him with a bit more assistance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now