Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Infacol in the eye ...

(5 Posts)
Boatmum1 Fri 25-Nov-16 19:04:40

... Exactly that. Worried first time mum alert!!!

Dropped infacol on 9 week old DS eye this morning. Wiped away and he's since had a bath and his eyes bathed again - but tonight his eye is all red (only the skin on the lid and around - not the eyeball)

Am away staying with family miles from London so can't take him to our GP - but has anyone done the same and had the same red skin effect? Or is it something else that I should be (poss) be worried about, and the infacol is a coincidence??

(I know this post sounds mental and like neurosis but genuinely worried I've blinded the mite!!!)

Sunflowersmiling Sat 26-Nov-16 04:11:28

Hi there...oh feel for you. Im sure all will be fine..I bet your not the first mum to do this, however i would check out with a medical professional if you can. Im no expert but its probably unlikely to have blinded baby, more likely just a little irratated. I'm sure my DS ate/squished into eyes/ears/nose various substances over the years and hasn't harmed him. I do remember phoning nhs direct because he had somehow eaten bepanthen and I freaked out in case he would be sick. He wasn't. But it's a worry I know. If your worried best thing to do is google your nearest walk in centre (we do have them outside if London ;-)) or phone the gp practice local to where you are staying. ..They will see you as a temporary resident while you are on holiday. Or phone 111 and try the NHS non-emergency number. Calls are free and 24 hours a day. Lastly a&e if your really worried and baby seems distressed/sick etc. With a 9 week old I'm sure which ever route you choose they will be happy to help you.

Babies skin is so delicate and probably at an age where it's naturally reacting to irratants it comes in to contact with. Still, get yourself some reassurance from medical professional and try not to worry too much. You sound like a fab mum whos doing a great job.

Alorsmum Sat 26-Nov-16 04:16:00

If you are breastfeeding get some breastmilk in his eye. Highly recommended for all little eye issues as its full of good stuff. Can't remember the science but I know when little so easy for them to get red and weepy eyes and bm is recommended

Alorsmum Sat 26-Nov-16 04:16:54

You won't have blinded him! Infacol will be safe to get in eyes in must be common

MoreBushThanMoss Sun 27-Nov-16 23:03:16

NC from Boatmum1

Thanks ladies - it was totally back to normal after his evening sleep - big thank you for being so kind and reassuring. Esp the BM tip - v good!

now I've stopped worrying about infacol induced blindness, I can find something else to panic about wink we've started teething so sure to be lots of weird symptoms to freak about grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now