Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Concerned about DS(14)'s very large hips/thighs

(14 Posts)
SusanFromNewcastle Fri 25-Nov-16 17:05:27

Hi All,

Since he was about 9, my DS has been overweight. He's 14 now, and I'm worried about how big he is getting despite not getting any taller. In particular, I'm concerned about his bum and thighs, which are very chunky, especially for a young boy. He's getting heavier at an alarming rate, and it is disproportionatley affecting his lower body. I'm worried he might get bullied at school for it and I feel like it is likely to have a very negative affect on his health. If anyone else has a similar issue or has some advice it'd be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Lovelyskin Fri 25-Nov-16 17:07:38

I would start with taking him to the drs and getting his hormone levels and other things checked, as I'm no expert, and it may be all normal, but there might be other reasons why he's putting on weight in more typically 'female' patterns. It might just be bad luck though and then dr can clarify that and then make suggestions about changing your lifestyle and diet.

SusanFromNewcastle Fri 25-Nov-16 17:15:12

When he was last at the doctors, the Dr said there was no clear reason for why he is gaining so much weight in the aforementioned areas. He's next due to go in December.

hanban89 Fri 25-Nov-16 23:10:05

I own a menswear business where I do a lot of made to measure stuff. And honestly I see loads of shapes and sizes, and some guys just carry a bit more weight around their hips. It's just their body shape. I was shocked when I first learned the trade as I had no idea that guys have just as many body shapes as women. Sorry if this is not helpful, just wanted to let you know I see guys this shape all the time and there's nothing wrong with it.

IKnowWhyACagedBirdSings Sat 26-Nov-16 02:21:50

Does he have any Italian blood in him? I say this as I have seen this bo

IKnowWhyACagedBirdSings Sat 26-Nov-16 02:23:08

Body shape often in Mediterranean men

SpaceDinosaur Sat 26-Nov-16 05:10:42

"Gaining weight at an alarming rate"

What's his diet like? How active/sporty is he?
I agree with pp that people carry weight differently but his general health is most important

SusanFromNewcastle Sat 26-Nov-16 09:47:03

He doesn't have any Italian/Mediterranean blood in him as far as I know. As for the weight gain, his diet is poor as he eats far too much, especially when it comes to cakes sweets and chocolates. He isn't at all sporty and won't do any physical activity regardless of how much I persuade him to. That explains why he's gett fatter, but it doesn't explain why it's affecting one area of his body so much

SpaceDinosaur Sun 27-Nov-16 12:45:57

People gain weight in different places.

Women talk about it more: "pear, apple" etc
Etc

Men have it too. My DH puts on weight on his tummy and , they just don't talk about it so much.

Instead of focusing on the "unimportant" (which most pp's have said is perfectly usual) focus on his poor diet and lack of activity.
Discovering a genetic throwback somewhere in previous generations to Mediterranean or even discovering nothing at all won't "fix" anything.

Frazzled2207 Mon 28-Nov-16 13:02:38

If he won't do sports as such would he do long walks at the weekend to boost his activity levels?

HeyRoly Mon 28-Nov-16 13:06:12

I think his body shape is a red herring. If he's very overweight, address that. Don't fixate on him carrying weight in certain places.

PberryT Mon 28-Nov-16 13:08:21

Why is he overweight? How does he access sweets etc?

Stop focusing on where they weight is, and focus on getting him healthy.

P1nkP0ppy Mon 28-Nov-16 13:11:19

Sorry op but if he's overeating, has a rubbish diet and doesn't do any meaningful exercise then he's going to gain weight and get fat. Seeking a genetic disposition won't do anything to change the fact he's overweight.

If you stop buying crap food and start giving him nutritious and healthy meals as well as getting him off his backside then he'll regain a healthy weight.

TheJunctionBaby Tue 29-Nov-16 18:31:02

I second having his hormone levels checked as this can also affect mood and energy levels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now