Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My son has been diagnosed type 1 diabetes

(18 Posts)
mysistersimone Mon 21-Nov-16 17:10:52

Today I took my son to the GP as he was having some concerning symptoms. Much concern from GP, tests, calls then ambulance to hospital. He was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

I'm in shock, so upset. He's only 7. Just wanted to speak with another mum in the same position

LAmusic Mon 21-Nov-16 17:19:27

There is a diabetes board on here which might be more help smile
flowers for you x

mysistersimone Mon 21-Nov-16 17:23:11

Thank you

daydreamnation Mon 21-Nov-16 17:23:58

You must be in shock and have a million questions, my dh has type 1 and his family have had amazing support from diabetes uk over the years, particularly when he was a child and older teen.
I'm obviously very knowledgeable but have never had a child with diabetes but do ask me any questions. If it reassures you, my dh is mid 30s and in great shape/health. His eyes etc are fine and the ongoing support and care he receives from the nhs is amazing.

mysistersimone Mon 21-Nov-16 19:57:36

Thanks daydream. I'm floored by it. I think when the shock has worn off I'll cope better. Thanks for answering and it is reassuring

JellyBabiesSaveLives Thu 24-Nov-16 23:14:35

There is a Facebook group called Children with Diabetes
www.facebook.com/groups/UKCWD

Lots and lots of us on there!

MaggieMcVitie Thu 24-Nov-16 23:25:00

I have a T1 child - diagnosed at 5, now 7. I know how hard it is to take in all the information and what a steep learning curve you are on. Don't be afraid though - it is all manageable and whilst not always easy it shouldn't stop you or your child doing anything. Feel free to ask any questions, there are some good support groups on FB as someone else has mentioned.
Whereabouts in the country are you?

MaggieMcVitie Thu 24-Nov-16 23:25:49

Sorry, he's 11 now not 7! Your child is 7!!confused

Oblomov16 Thu 24-Nov-16 23:44:37

Ask away. T1 since aged 1.
How is he ATM?

mysistersimone Fri 25-Nov-16 16:03:02

Hi Maggie - I will look for that group on Facebook, thank you. We live near Lincoln. We had the children diabetes team visit Wednesday 2nd think we're being educated gently. Though sometimes I feel like I'm going to hurt him by not doing everything perfectly. I do good one minute then feel slightly hysterical inside. He sees none of that though. My husband is not supportive at all. The marriage is crumbling rapidly which makes me feel more pressured.

Oblomov - he's doing great. Was very tearful at first but getting braver by the day with the needles. He seems really tired still, he has bags. He's being braver than me bless him

MaggieMcVitie Fri 25-Nov-16 16:16:18

You will make mistakes, be kind to yourself when you do. In the past we've given the wrong insulin at the wrong time, given the wrong amount and forgotten to give it entirely! We're 6 years in an still get it wrong from time to time.
My top tip at this stage is to have a really good relationship with your DSN and his school, DSN should be able to go in and train staff - ask if that hasn't been mentioned. Also Diabetes UK do really good support pack for schools, you can find it online at www.diabetes.org.uk/schools.

MaggieMcVitie Fri 25-Nov-16 16:17:53

Sorry about your marriage problems, it never comes at a good time. Have you got a good support network with friends and family?

mysistersimone Fri 25-Nov-16 18:14:46

I've recently discovered I have quite a few awesome friends. So much so a married couple have asked to be trained in care so they can look after my son when he has sleep overs with them. My Dad is local but struggling with it all. My sister has been amazing but she lives 200 miles away.

The nurse is going into school Monday morning. She's been amazing. No nonsense and a real support. The school have been supportive, there are 3 teachers there with type 1 children.

mysistersimone Fri 25-Nov-16 18:15:49

How is your son doing? Has the condition caused him any problems?

MaggieMcVitie Fri 25-Nov-16 18:26:10

Not medical ones no. Hypos/hypers can be disruptive and we're going through a really bad patch at the moment, but he copes REALLY well and is a little legend. It hasn't stopped him doing anything - he's gone away with school, done summer camps, sleepovers and stayed with grandparents in Norwich (we're in Wales). He's getting quite independent with it all now.
We have (and you will too) annual reviews to check eyes, teeth,feet etc. When you're a bit more settled ask about having a pump - it's the best thing we've done and really helped maintain better control.

Glad you've got support at home. Real friends really come to the fore at times like this!

Oblomov16 Fri 25-Nov-16 21:20:10

Oh you poor poor thing. Marriage aswell. It never really goes away, because it's always there. In the background. But it does get easier. But we all make mistakes. I still do. And then kick myself that I should havre known better. Cut yourself some slack. Your best IS good enough!!

Pleased that school has 3 understanding teachers because that's huge!!
My ds2 has a t1 girl in his class and her mum has told me that the school have done lots of bad things.

And my colleague at work, his nephew diagnosed @ 8, his school have been beyond useless!!

Let us know if we can help you in any way.

eatingtomuch Fri 25-Nov-16 21:27:43

My DS is a teen with type 1. It is hard to take it all in at first, but I promise it does get easier.

Please find CWD (children with diabetes). It's the most supportive group I have found. I would be lost without them.

eatingtomuch Fri 25-Nov-16 21:32:36

I had just separated from my husband when my DS was diagnosed. It was a challenging time. But with good friends you will be fine. My friends have been amazing.

School have been great and my DS has not missed anything. He does exactly the same as his peers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now