Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hand, Foot and Mouth

(11 Posts)
CarShare Mon 21-Nov-16 17:07:39

DD of ten months has a mild case of HFM. GP said not to worry about keeping her away from other babies/kids and it's ok to continue with baby groups and classes. Not sure this is right, any advice?

jaykay34 Mon 21-Nov-16 17:16:36

At my child's nursery, they will not allow a child in with suspected or confirmed HFM. It's highly contagious. Last year there was an outbreak and almost every child in the nursery got infected.

PotOfYoghurt Mon 21-Nov-16 17:32:01

That is the correct medical advice, but realistically people would be pretty annoyed with you to take your baby to a group when you know they have HFM. You're right to think it's a bit off.

EstelleRoberts Mon 21-Nov-16 17:35:37

I would be pretty annoyed if a mother took a child with that to any of the groups I take DD to. Catching that would be all we need. Can you not just stay home for a while?

CarShare Mon 21-Nov-16 17:45:19

estelle I didn't say I'd planned on taking her anyway, I was asking for advice hmm

Thanks yoghurt and jaykay that's closer to what I'd thought myself.

EstelleRoberts Mon 21-Nov-16 18:47:54

Sorry, Car , I wasn't clear on that from your OP. In my defence I am v tired today! I hope your little one is feeling better soon.

mrsmugoo Mon 21-Nov-16 19:01:50

My DS had a bad case of it last year and the doctor said it was fine for him to go to nursery unless he was very unwell in himself. Nursery were happy to take him.

CarShare Mon 21-Nov-16 19:39:22

No worries estelle. Hope you have a better time of it soon.

That's interesting mugoo, strange that there's such a variation in advice and nursery protocol. There's no consensus on Google either.

EstelleRoberts Mon 21-Nov-16 20:06:57

Thanks Car!

It seems strange there is a conflict. And I am surprised that some medical advice is so blithe about it. I understood it could be quite painful, so not really the type of thing I would be casual about DC catching. Perhaps I am missing something, but I would be interested in the rationale behind advising to let them mix with it.

MyKidsHaveTakenMySanity Mon 21-Nov-16 20:16:50

On the chart in our school that lists various childhood illnesses and the time required off school, HFM is listed as fine to be in school with no time off. There was an outbreak at school a couple
Of years ago and my two DDs went in when they caught it. Admittedly I'd had no idea they had it for over a week as it didn't bother them one bit. I had just figured the couple of spots on my eldest' palm and top of her foot were heat lumps. Younger DD never even told me she had any.

CarShare Tue 22-Nov-16 11:05:39

Thanks kids, it's different everywhere it seems. It's difficult as it's usually a mild infection as you say but then I'd never know if the baby/child next to mine at a group is immunosuppressed/particularly vulnerable and I don't think I'd want to risk it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now