Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What's best on chicken pox scabs?

(15 Posts)
Lake2 Sat 19-Nov-16 09:35:09

DD started with chicken pox 8 days ago and now has a face (and body) full of scabs. There are about 30 on her face and she looks pretty awful.
I've been putting on virasoothe all day long.
Now that they're scabbed, is it best to keep up with the virasoothe?
Is it best to moisturise the scabs all day or do I want to dry them out? I'm worried about the scarring and feeling awful for her sad

GizmoFrisby Sat 19-Nov-16 09:41:37

I used virasoothe however it didn't stop scarring.

Lake2 Sat 19-Nov-16 11:09:33

That's not good. Anyone else? To keep moisturising scabs or leave to dry?

imnervous Sat 19-Nov-16 11:13:16

You could try bio oil when the scabs have fallen off and healed?

Lake2 Sat 19-Nov-16 11:17:24

Thanks, will try the bio oil once scabs have come on.

I'm more confused as to what I'm supposed to use while covered in big purple scabs

ktmummy1 Sat 19-Nov-16 12:44:24

I would say calamine still, try to keep them on. My daughter has loads of scars but I'm told they'll continue to fade as she grows and her skin changes as she ages. Two years on, she still has loads but most have faded to white or skin coloured and the 10 pitted marks are only noticible in certain lights. I wish I'd used calamine on her

ktmummy1 Sat 19-Nov-16 12:46:32

Bio oil didn't work for my dd - just made her skin greasy and gave her little milia cysts. We tried it for months.

Lake2 Sat 19-Nov-16 12:56:05

Oh no, kymummy! I'm glad to hear that she has improved though, sorry that she has scars.
What were you using if it wasn't calamine?

ktmummy1 Sat 19-Nov-16 20:59:23

I tried poxclin but she wouldn't tolerate me applying it. I wish I'd dabbed on calamine as a protective layer. Her scabs fell off at night mostly as she moved about in bed.

DOTLEYtheONEeyedDINO Sat 19-Nov-16 21:09:50

AVEENO® SOOTHING BATH TREATMENT
Soothes dry, itchy and irritated skin with natural colloidal oatmeal.
This soothing bath treatment for itchy, irritated skin is made of finely milled 100% pure ACTIVE NATURALS® Colloidal Oatmeal—an ingredient long recognized for its ability to relieve itching. When dispersed in water, this powder forms a soothing milky bath that works as a natural cleanser, provides temporary skin protection, and relieves irritation and itching.

WE USED THIS! It worked wonders. We also had antibiotics as both DC got it really bad. It works out about £1 a bath, but is well worth it.

Lake2 Sat 19-Nov-16 21:29:18

Thanks, ladies. I used oats too and she wasn't itchy at all. She's just knocked off a scab on her forehead somehow while playing and it's left a bright red mark with a slight pit in the middle. Now I'm obsessed with her not knocking the other scabs but it's impossible sad

ktmummy1 Sat 19-Nov-16 21:44:19

The redness lasts for ages but does go completely eventually. I think it faded gradually over 6 months. Shallow pits fade. Deeper ones improve loads too but don't go completely although become barely noticeable in time. It is impossible to prevent scabs coming off unfortunately but calamine, short nails and gloves may help? Plus keeping her cool at night is key x

Lake2 Sun 20-Nov-16 12:36:27

Thank you. Sorry to go on about this ladies but I'm finding it quite upsetting seeing my daughter's face is such a mess. She's knocked lots of scabs off now and has red spots with slight indents...anyone know what's best to be applying at this point?

ktmummy1 Sun 20-Nov-16 13:07:24

Totally get this. I was in the same boat and was gutted pm me if you want. I can offer some reassurance I'm sure X

ktmummy1 Sun 20-Nov-16 13:21:47

If the indents are only slightly, they'll improve. My daughters were deep

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now