Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Piriton for a cough?

(9 Posts)
Eminybob Fri 18-Nov-16 17:02:46

DS (2) has a horrible cough, he's been throwing up phlegm all day and is generally feeling ropey.
DH said a colleague of his has suggested piriton as when his son had a bad cough the doctor recommended it.
I've done a bit of googling which suggests it might help dry up the phlegm and settle his chest.
Anyone else heard of this before? Does it work? We have some baby piriton left over from when he has chicken pox.

Eminybob Fri 18-Nov-16 17:37:12

Bump

HubbleBubbles Fri 18-Nov-16 18:04:17

Yes I always give Piriton for a persistent cough - recommended by GP !

Eminybob Fri 18-Nov-16 18:28:57

Fab, thank you.
I've never heard of it before. You'd think they'd put it on the box!

hanban89 Fri 18-Nov-16 23:08:21

I was recommended this once by a health visitor. It definitely helps. I only use it when one of the kids is really bad coughing at night.

Rainingchocolate Sun 20-Nov-16 17:49:49

Yep hospital pharmacist recommended this.

CheckpointCharlie2 Sun 20-Nov-16 17:52:37

Yes, always! The best thing ever was Medised which was so good at helping with coughs but it was banned for littlies, am sure there was a good reason but sad anyway!

Eminybob Sun 20-Nov-16 20:03:33

Thanks. I've given him a few doses over the last couple of days and it really has done the trick. He is coughing loads less. Still incredibly snotty though!

Realitea Fri 25-Nov-16 10:01:43

Its no longer advised and cough medicines for under 6 year olds are also not advised. This is because they can cause heart irregularities and basically the benefits dont outweigh the risks.
It was often prescribed for coughs though and has been known to help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now